6 5.22%
  • 20ga

2 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Shotgun shell?

Re: Favorite Shotgun shell?

yeah i would be in a punt to the water is pretty cold this time year
    Beretta its not just a gun its a lifestyle!

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    More lead is just compensating for poor shooting. There's no earthly need for a 3.5'' shell unless you're skybusting or a poor shot. In my humble, relatively inexperience opinion.

O.K....O.K. I'm in! I am a poor shot. I use #2 3" hevy shot and was 35 and 0 at geese inside 30yds last time out. ( not exsactly sky busting but then again I may not be concidered a waterfouling expert) I finally blew one down to the water when a flock passed at 10yds. Finished the day at 40 something and 1. Someone want to sell me one of those pretty looking extrema2s cheep( I can't afford much, all my funds go to ammo) so I can blast away with 3.5 inch shells.
    On a more serious note. Do you more experianced shotgunners feel it would be worth my while to have a rear bead installed? I have been giving this some serious thought lately just wonder about the merrits.
    CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS

say PATTERN is there any form of fees or initiation for this team berretta,monthly meetings ,executive decisions etc.. do i need any particular type of beretta as ive owned at least 2 for the past 15 years or so.does the team leaders put on any shooting clinics a guy could sign up for, as im always looking for ways to improve my shooting skills. does your team have any social events. would you guys be opposed to taking me out goose hunting id like to sharpen that up some ....fowl

Quote Originally Posted by 6 K View Post
    O.K....O.K. I'm in! I am a poor shot. I use #2 3" hevy shot and was 35 and 0 at geese inside 30yds last time out. ( not exsactly sky busting but then again I may not be concidered a waterfouling expert) I finally blew one down to the water when a flock passed at 10yds. Finished the day at 40 something and 1. Someone want to sell me one of those pretty looking extrema2s cheep( I can't afford much, all my funds go to ammo) so I can blast away with 3.5 inch shells.
    On a more serious note. Do you more experianced shotgunners feel it would be worth my while to have a rear bead installed? I have been giving this some serious thought lately just wonder about the merrits.
    6K,
    I think your problem lies in how your shooting not what your using to shoot. I use a 400$ 870 and cheep 3" winchester shells and don't have a lot of problems folding up birds overhead. (briant hunter can vouch for me) I don't know if a rear bead would help, but I painted my front bead with blaze orange nail polish and it works great, or try one of those fiber optic orange dots, those work great as well, and don't forget to follow through when your shooting. The thing that I have bought that has helped my shooting the most is a mechanical skeet thrower from reliable for 60$ and put about 2000 clays through it last summer.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

Here's a few facts...

Shell length means nothing in terms of the payload of shot.

The weight of the shotload determines the number of pellets. 1oz in a 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" is still 1oz of pellets!

The weight of the payload is the single greatest factor in recoil, followed only slightly by velocity. Bigger the payload, bigger the whoomp!

Recoil is the single greatest contributing factor to poor shooting, whether one can admit it to themselves or not is another thing all together.

What kills birds beside being on them, is pellets and energy, but being on them is the single greatest factor. Many of the longer super screamer shells are low payloads 1 1/8oz or less, but cranked up with powder to go fast as that's the fad right now! You are paying for plastic, not preformance.

One should pattern their gun and load and see how it preforms and ignore all the hype. Many of the screamer loads have "blown out" patterns and preform much poorer overall then more resonable speed loads.

Off the soapbox now

I'd truly love to do a round or two of skeet with Team Berretta, they can shoot their wonder weapons with 3 1/2" duck loads, and I'll shoot my wimpy 1oz target loads that go just barely faster then a fart. Then we get to punch each other in the shoulder, the super recoil free king of the mountain Berretta shooters shouldn't even flinch?

Hugs and Kisses,

Ian

Good on you Ian.
    Finally the voice of reason prevails.
    Cheers
    Field Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    Here's a few facts...

Shell length means nothing in terms of the payload of shot.

The weight of the shotload determines the number of pellets. 1oz in a 2 3/4", 3" or 3 1/2" is still 1oz of pellets! Gee ....Really.

The weight of the payload is the single greatest factor in recoil, followed only slightly by velocity. Bigger the payload, bigger the whoomp!

Recoil is the single greatest contributing factor to poor shooting again.... hmmm , whether one can admit it to themselves or not is another thing all together.

What kills birds beside being on them, is pellets and energy, but being on them is the single greatest factor. Many of the longer super screamer shells are low payloads 1 1/8oz or less, but cranked up with powder to go fast as that's the fad right now! You are paying for plastic, not preformance.

One should pattern their gun and load and see how it preforms and ignore all the hype. Why didn't I think of that. Many of the screamer loads have "blown out" patterns and preform much poorer overall then more resonable speed loads.

Off the soapbox now

I'd truly love to do a round or two of skeet with Team Berretta, they can shoot their wonder weapons with 3 1/2" duck loads, and I'll shoot my wimpy 1oz target loads that go just barely faster then a fart. You are forgeting the fact that gun clubs don't allow anything other than target loads. Then we get to punch each other in the shoulder(that I would like to see), the super recoil free king of the mountain Berretta shooters shouldn't even flinch?
    Hugs and Kisses,

Ian
    have a nice Day

Hey QA,

Go re-read the thread and you see that the majority of those points address claims, plain and simple.

Where'd I say gun club?

Thanks, I've had a pretty good day so far, hope yours is the same way!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    Hey QA,

Go re-read the thread and you see that the majority of those points address claims, plain and simple.Your very first words... here's a few facts.

Where'd I say gun club? You didn't, if you want it all to really count this would happen at a gun club.

Thanks, I've had a pretty good day so far, hope yours is the same way!

Ian
    Later and happy hunting

Won't take much research to validate those facts, check out some of Chris Batha's writings, or go to Chuck Hawks.com for starters. A tape measure, 2 traps and a little thinking will create a skeet field anywhere you want.

Ian