• 10ga

6 5.22%
  • 20ga

2 1.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Favorite Shotgun shell?

Re: Favorite Shotgun shell?

Steel shot is pretty much steel shot as long as it's round. Might want to start another thread or contact me in PM so we don't totally hijack this thread.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Smile Re: Favorite Shotgun shell?

This thread has been an entertaining read. Heres what I use. 2 3/4 or 3 ", at 1400 fps. or faster, # 4 in early season when ducks are decoying easily and not heavy feathered yet, changing over to #2's by mid to late Nov. when they are in full winter plumage and not decoying as well. Most of my shooting is around 30 yds. or less,although I have no trouble killing ducks at greater ranges, I just like to get them in close. Speed is the most important factor with steel shot,followed by which make of shells works best with your gun, at least thats my two bits on the subject.

kent 12gauge 2 3/4" BB for ducks and geese. 1 1/16th oz

had 2 cripples last year, and both never made it to far.

How about Heavy Metal anyone tried them.

Killer

Has anyone used Federal's Black Cloud. Does this pellet design work or is a gimmick.

I tried the Black cloud and it works but I use a aftermarket choke tube with a wad reduction system, this system conflicts with the black cloud flight stopper wad, so you get a poor pattern. So every time I shoot them I have to change my tube, but I have to say they crush the birds and I think the price is not so bad for a premium shell. I recently was able to try some Heavy Metal, this stuff is nice! soft shooting and folds the birds for a joke. I did not shoot enough to say its worth the money but I will definately be buying more.

killer

Thanks Duckkiller, I wondered about the Blackcloud stuff, also an interesting tid bit.

I use 2 3/4" or 3" shells in 12ga, number 2's on geese and 4's on ducks, as this is what my mentor uses.
    I have a cheap Moss'vick 588, so I started out with the Hi-vel Win steel cheapest ammo around. My thinking was cheap gun I don't feel like feeding it exspensive ammo. Especially until my wing shooting is to the point where I can determine the actual difference between the $13/box shells and the $30/box shells. I haven't had any problems with cripples.

Don't tell them I'm throwing cheap steel at them, the geese in the freezer didn't seem to notice the difference. So SSSSSHHHHH

Just my 303cents
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

I agree that heavy metal kicks, why mess around!!
    Don't you wish you could be like me!!!!!

Load my own non-toxic. NOT CHEAP!!!
    12 gauge:
    1.25 oz @1250 6's for early season decoyed ducks; 4 for late season
    1.50 @ 1200 (recoil!!!) 2's for geese all season
    All 2.75 AA hulls
    Longshotz
    Last edited by longshotz; 11-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Look twice; shoot once

So, today I tried out the Rem Nitro Steel today. I hit a mallard in the top of the breast and neck area, totally cartwheeled this bird. The shot was about 20ish yards.

Not a new fav but I like the results so far, see what i can do with the rest of the box.

Down side, the portion of breast that got hit had a massive amount of Bloodshot, Something you did see to much of with them Xperts

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.