Thread: question for the waterfowlers

question for the waterfowlers

Did a bit of searching on the forum but couldnt find my answer.still fairly green at this whole waterfowling thing but im getting better with trial and error. Went out this weekend on back to back nights, set out my decoys and had one awsome night and the next were I just saw flight after flight flare halfway to the decoys. Im in the okanagan and the few areas i go aren't very big. Trying to figured out why the first night had 150+ ducks glide into the decoys and the next only had ten that didnt flare. Dont know if the wind on the second day was the cause, or the fact that the decoys were in a similar spot as the night before and the ducks remembered halfway in. Theres not alot of hunting pressure but how do you change up your setup if theres nowhere else to go due to ice and water levels etc. I tried a different look to my setup and they didnt see the hunters as most flared before they came around the treeline where we could see them. I think it was the similarity in setups and spot between the two nights but the only other spot was 40 yards down the shoreline at the other end of the cove. Any suggestions on how to change things up for hunting on back to back nights ?
    (Not expecting much as I'm pretty vague desciption on the setup)

2. Site Sponsor

guest Guest

Re: question for the waterfowlers

Movement in the Deeks helps a ton, by wind, mechanical, pull string, Mojo etc etc. Some movement is good, too much is not. Could have been glare or a number of things. Some days ya have it some days ya dont.

Sounds like your shooting the roost and educated them. They may come back if you leave it alone for a while.

I think Heyblast nailed it. I hunt a roosting area as well, and try to never hunt it more than once a week. They become weary fast, even a few days later.

How do you know an area is a roost? Would a roost have ducks in it before first light?

Quote Originally Posted by skuntor View Post
    How do you know an area is a roost? Would a roost have ducks in it before first light?
    At the place I hunt, they will sometimes hang out till 10am. But the tell tale of the roost is the last hour of light. The field I hunt, its like clockwork, 1:15 before legal shooting ends, the birds start coming in waves. And by no means am I an expert, I'm now a 4th year rookie.............
    Last edited by Sasqman; 12-09-2014 at 10:20 PM.