Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calls

Calls

What kind of calls do you guys use for ducks/geese? How many diffrent ones do you usually use in the field?

I use a Faulks WA-11 for ducks and A PS Olt 800 for geese. Only two calls I carry.

2. Site Sponsor

Post Re: Calls

I got a Quaker Boy goose call which I don't care for all that much, and a Knight & Hale twin reed duck call, which sticks when wet. Also carry a K&H crow call...
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Re: Calls

I use a Yentzen double reed duck call and an old Lohman stubby barrel goose call (was my dad's). My hunting partner has an old Olt single reed duck call and an Olt goose call (which I really like the sound of).

Dano
    Buddi doing what she does best!

I carry several. The Duck Commander Original Reacher (open water), Mallard Drake (confidence call), and Gadwall Drake. A Haydel's DR-85 (soft calling), W-81 (wood duck), and MP-90 (pintail/widgon). A Echo open water wood (Back up). Several others to mix things up a little. As well as 2 goose call one is a Primose shaved reed and a Rich-N-Tone flute. I carry three lanyards one timber lanyard with my sofe and easy calls, I also use it on small wetlands that are closed in and were your line of sight is limited. Then a open water lanyard for lakes rivers and fields. Then the last one has my goose calls as well as a mallard for just in case. To much for some but I like to have the right tool for the job. I also like to know what the people that hunt close to me us and try to use something diffrent than what they use. Maybe just paranoia but I dont like to put out decoys in even numbers either.
    Last edited by redlegdrake; 10-25-2005 at 08:56 PM.

I am just learning, so I picked up two cheap Lohman calls. (One duck - mallard I think, and one goose). Does anybody use the Primos calls? I was looking at them at Hub's Sports today. I am trying to figure out if the $30-40 dollars is worth it.

I started with a Lohman single reed. It had the stubby barrel and although I had good success, I really like the sound of double reed calls.
    No matter which call you get, you have to learn how to use it for the best results. You may find you have a long range call, short range or even close range. Some will work at all distances if you blow softer.
    Hopefully Ian adds to this, we talked calls a few months ago and he had some good advice (but I still haven't bought another call)... I was given a new reed for the Yentzen the other day. A triple reed and I think it sounds pretty good!
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

I use a Cache River Duckall(acrylic from Arkansas) for Mallards,and the Foiles Staight Meat Honker for geese.On the Praieries I use the Haydel Spec call,and the Foiles Cackler.

Bow Walker Guest

Always went out with just two calls.........one a mallard call, and the other a widgeon call. Mallards seem to have confidence about coming in to a set that has about a third widgeon decoys.

Primos Yo-Sista
    Primos wench (best cheap duck call going)
    Sean Mann double trouble acrylic (SA Weeeet!)
    Sean Mann Eastern shoreman flute

That's what's on my lanyard and soon to be joined by a high roller for sprig-widgeon and teal and a Quackhead snowgoose call..

All calls have the potential to work well, it's the practice part that changes everything. I'm definetly in need of some practice as calling for black ducks is not the way to fill your limit.

Can't wait to try and talk to some mallards again!

Very best,

Ian

For geese, the Primos #811, I believe, flute style call is the best I have used. They are available at Hub Sports last time I was there. For ducks, the old school scotch duck call. I also like the yo sista call from Primos, but they take a little practice to get used to.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
    You get the nerve to shoot it or did you need the hbc members to cheeer you on.