Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Alpine Hunting Gear List

Re: Alpine Hunting Gear List

Does the man on the left look like he's prepared for the highcountry?

This is Angus Horne. He came from an era when men were made tuff. He explored some of the roughest country imaginable. He was a man of the highcountry. Didn't need much but a heart and a desire to see what was over the next mountain.
    Last edited by dana; 02-05-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Does the man on the left look like he's prepared for the highcountry?

This is Angus Horne. He came from an era when men were made tuff. He explored some of the roughest country imaginable. He was a man of the highcountry. Didn't need much but a heart and a desire to see what was over the next mountain.

I don't look like I'm prepared for the mountains on my day off either...

Tatterd Pants and a hangun, no doubt an original gang banger
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

So onto my personal Alpine Hunting Gear List.

Eberlestock J105 Backpack
    Kifaru 6 man Tipi Tent and Medium WoodStove
    MSR Dragonfly cookstove with 975ml bottle
    MSR Seagull cookpot
    Light My Fire Mealkit
    Light My Fire Swedish Firesteel
    Asolo Milano Sleeping Bag
    Thermarest Trail Lite Sleeping Pad
    Small Geber Axe
    Geber Bone Saw
    Baush&Lomb Discoverer Binoculars
    Leupold 12-40 x 60 Spotting Scope

Keep in mind, I have developed this for my style of hunting and given the fact we backpack as a family. This is not a list for everyone as it wouldn't be practical for a lot of backpackers who are going solo or duo. As I stated before, backpack hunting doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. I've gone with far less in the past and one can be successful backpacking on a budget with a little bit of creativity.
    Currently on my list the Kifaru Tipi is the most expensive piece of equipment. One I have desired for years, but never had the money to buy given other priorities in raising a young family. Last year I had the best income tax return I've ever had and we decided it was now or never. It weighs in at 11 lbs with the stove. For a solo backpacker that might be a little heavy but it fits my family of 4 perfect. Weight can be shared easily. It will allow us to get further back in more extreme weather and there won't be worries about being wet or cold. One can cook on the woodstove if one wants to trim weight and not pack the cookstove and fuel.
    The MSR Dragonfly is a big stove for most. But when one is cooking for 4 it is the ideal size. Again, the extra weight can be divided and shared.
    Most backpackers don't carry an axe, as they add weight fast, but when you have 1 tent between 4 and a woodstove, the weight of the axe is divided and shared.

I bought the dragonfly about 5 years ago... Even now there isnt that much weight difference between the smaller ones.. Great stoves, they boil in light speed and sound like an F-14 taking off, keeps the bears away
    Pretty impressed with how little fuel they consume.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny