Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpine Hunting Gear List

Re: Alpine Hunting Gear List

For tents u might want to consider a tipi style with an optional floor and stove jack.This way u can add a stove when the weather turns cooler.Kifaru or a Golite tipi , the former u will have to sew in the stove jack.For packs i would go with a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab with the optional 6500 bag.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/packs/pack.php?ID=55

http://www.kifaru.net/TIPI.HTM

http://www.golite.com/Product/prodde...x?p=SH6125&s=1

Thanks for all the tips and help so far guys i appreciate it. One thing I was thinking of is: What do weight you guys like to keep your pack weights under on the way up the mountain? Are you able to debone your game (deer/ sheep size) and bring camp out in one trip? Or is it pretty well a guarantee of multiple trips on successful hunts?
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"

Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionJunkie View Post
    Thanks for all the tips and help so far guys i appreciate it. One thing I was thinking of is: What do weight you guys like to keep your pack weights under on the way up the mountain? Are you able to debone your game (deer/ sheep size) and bring camp out in one trip? Or is it pretty well a guarantee of multiple trips on successful hunts?

The answer depends on how long of a trip your packing for. Pack weight will range from 45lbs to 75 lbs depending on certain things.

One guy packing everything out in one trip will be a MEGA LOAD and a corner stone character builder, but for some guys it is doable in certain terrain. Normally two guys and one deer sized animal plus all your gear is a big load figure on over 100-150 lb packs.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

That is sort of what I had been thinking also Brambles. I'm trying to establish an idea of how much to pack for the way in weight wise, as well as sort of get an Idea on my range limitations if I am gonna be making multiple trips out and time I have to do it in etc. Don't want to bite off too much on the first go
    Been thinking of doing some mid summer scouting in the area I select to give me a better idea of what to expect.

That is sort of what I had been thinking also Brambles. I'm trying to establish an idea of how much to pack for the way in weight wise, as well as sort of get an Idea on my range limitations if I am gonna be making multiple trips out and time I have to do it in etc. Don't want to bite off too much on the first go
    Been thinking of doing some mid summer scouting in the area I select to give me a better idea of what to expect.

I don't know what kind of shape your in, yes Round is a shape, but not the preferred one Packs get REAL heavy when you have to gain any kind of altitude. Shooting a buck or ??? in the bottom of a draw and having to pack him back up to the ridge before you can start getting him back to camp is a real bitch. It will test your morals and character, you just have to slow down, and realize its not going to get out quickly. If you have to stash it half way and come back in the AM, or start a fire and camp out with your prize overnight and resume packing in the AM then go ahead and do it IF your prepared of the conditions. IF you push yourself beyond your conditioning you WILL get yourself in trouble. No prize is worth not coming home, some are definitly worth a calculated risk though.

My recommendation is to go on some summer scouting trips, pack all the gear you would on your trip to get a taste of what your in for.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

I am a big guy and I was carrying 80lbs on my trip this past season with Brambles in the Alpine and I will be honest I wasn't ready. I have always prided myself in my strength but that kind of weight on your back when you are not prepared or fit enough is a tough pill to chew. My theory was I will just get use to it and adapt like I have always done. Unfortunately my body had other ideas! I am not an inactive person either I walk to and from work and I live on the side of a mountain but it still didn't really prepare me for any kind of altitude climb with weight. I will mention this was a really "tame" trip as backpacking goes and it nearly did me in!

I for sure bit off more than I could chew and nearly got into trouble. I was not in good enough shape and we did a "tame" trip. I soldiered on cause I was having a blast and seeing nice country but this year I will be leaner and more fit for sure...

The biggest thing I learned is "BOOTS"... You need good boots or you can have trouble with some of the side hilling and stuff of that nature. I also learned you have to take a good belt. You would be surprised how annoying it can be to have your belt break on you! LOL...

Water can really throw your pack weight to hell,
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master

What do weight you guys like to keep your pack weights under on the way up the mountain? Are you able to debone your game (deer/ sheep size) and bring camp out in one trip? Or is it pretty well a guarantee of multiple trips on successful hunts?
    Good rule of thumb (for me at least). Pack in weight of 1/3rd your body weight and heading out (full) of 2/3rd's. I'm getting close to 190lbs (unfortunately) and for an alpine hunt I want 65 lbs to feel relatively easy and if I am not mentally and physically prepared to pack out 125lbs then I am simply not ready. The biggest items that have helped me to carry decent loads extended distances are boots, poles and a good pack. Although I appreciate lightweight gear I don't get too concerned about trying to make my pack 55 to 60 lbs. I would rather focus more effort on losing the extra pounds from my waist and get into better shape to pack the load when it really counts. It's all coming out in one trip!
    Last edited by BCbillies; 02-02-2009 at 06:41 PM.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Conditioning is definately high on my radar of things to take care of. I am in decent shape 6' 170lbs and I work a physical job min 10hrs a day but I am not kidding myself I remember backpacking with my dad and how much of a strain it was on me even then. The cardio and physical conditioning aspects will need some tuning up, that's what I am thinking with the summer trips to get a better idea of what i will be up against. Gonna start using the ol' ladies treadmill after work aswell.

Sheep shape!! That's an old and true....tough pill to swallow! Let me tell ya, I am not in what I would consider to be anywhere NEAR sheep shape, heck I weigh in around the 230 mark, and I like to smoke the odd coffin nail too!
    However, nothing beats getting ready to the best of your abilities, you owe it to yourself, and the animals your hunting. Last year was my first sheep hunt, and I started getting ready in May, hiking up to 8 kms every other day with my loaded pack on. By the time the hike was upon us, I was able to climb, bushwhack, and suck wind all the way up the mountain. The pack weight wasn't any issue for me, as I am more or less an ox, but speed was not going to happen.
    Just pace yourself, and all will be fine, however that can really change if you have a partner who is not willing to hold back for the slower of the two.
    I can't wait to beat myself up again next season, heck I am chewing my nails off in my sleep thinking about it!

I have posted this pick before, but its most of the stuff I take ready to be packed

Last edited by SHACK; 02-02-2009 at 10:11 PM.
    Life's like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today, might burn your arse tomorrow