Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: choke

BCHunter Guest

Re: choke

thats what I'll do Firebird, try both on a sheet of cardboard

Never said Steel was more lethal than lead, I blame half my cripples on Steel shot . Everyone knows lead is softer than steel and will generally kill more birds shot for shot. What Im saying is I dont see a diffence between the two as far as patterning goes.

It makes sense and I understand that a modified choke with a smaller shot will spread more causing more kills for closer shots, But there again who can't hit a bird from 15- 20 yards away no matter what choke you use? For the longer shots or flyaway shots I don't think it'll have enough to reach out and touch them. I don't believe Im the only one on here who successfully uses Full choke with #2 loads.

I think what your trying to say is a more open choke with lighter loads is more forgiving for those who can't aim as precisely with full choke at shorter distances.

Post Re: choke

But there again who can't hit a bird from 15- 20 yards away no matter what choke you use?
    I miss more birds off the end of my muzzle than I do at 40 yards, which is about the effective range of #2 & BB steel loads.

I shoot a Modified choke which gives me a more open pattern at normal ranges shooting over dekes (20-30 yards), yet still has enough density to pull birds down at 40 yards.

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

BCHunter Guest

check this out....

good diagram if you're hunting with lead shot

I'm gonna screw in the MOD LEAD/FULL STEEL choke in my BPS and try it tommorow, will see if I can notice a difference...
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

BCHunter Guest

thank you

what are you comparing it too...IC & MOD LEAD/FULL STEEL choke?

Thank you FB. I have lots of lead shot and an old Winnie single with a full choke. Steel is not in my future since I am not doing waterfowl any longer. Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I got three chokes

a) IC Lead / Mod Steel

b) Mod Lead / Full Steel

c) Full lead *not for use with Steel shot*

I'm heading to the range this week to sight in my 25-284, so I'll bring my 12 gauge with some paper plates and fire off a few rounds, some steel, some lead...will report back with the results.

Went out this morning for a few hours, didnt seem to be much flying around. But I managed to get 3 with 3 shots and No cripples. 2 mallrds, 1 wigeon. I was using a modified choke with 3" #3 shot. However these shots were all within 30 yards and I still have my doubts that it'll work at 30-40+ yards. But it was an improvement for my close range.

The real deal is that steel needs a more open choke. It helps to open up the shot string. With a full lead choke and steel shot you dont get good coverage of your target. It bunches up the shot cone. This bunched up cone can couse you to miss many birds. This is the top reason people that over choke the gun miss birds. Remember we need 70% of our shot from the shell in a 30" circle. As well as good coverage over the entire circle. The best thing you can do is find a choke you like and then start trying diff shells trough it. Find a shell that works the best in your gun and with your choke. It takes time and lots of paper. One of the best things you can do is trade a few shells with friends that use diff brands of shells as well as shot sizes. Remember to keep the shot big enough to carry a energy load that will kill (two sizes bigger than you used in lead). If anyone want some links to a few places that have info on choke or patterns ect let me know I can pass on a few so you can get in the know about steel to.