Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: choke

BCHunter Guest

Re: choke

i have no modified choke...i'll buy one then

thanks

Post Re: choke

if you're shooting 30-40 yards then a FULL STEEL/MOD LEAD would be a good pick

most of my shots on geese over decoys is right off my boot laces when using the goose chairs, so I use Modified Steel in my BPS.

when hunting out of a blind I dont bother to change, and it seems to still work
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

BCHunter Guest

thanks Firebird...

rrfred Guest

hi- most people have too much choke in their shotguns, steel works better going thru as little choke as is needed for good patterns at the intended range. i run with modified (lead/full -steel) and imp cyl, never use the fullchoke anymore in my scattergun my .o2 cheers

Hmmmm.... Ive always used Full choke in my shotguns with both lead and steal. I use a #2 steel for ducks/geese. I'll try switching the choke to modified and see if I notice any improvement this week.

If this is all true though, why is it recommended to use a full or super-full for shooting turkey's?

Chris,

Isn't it still legal to shoot Turkey with lead?? Fred
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Lightbulb Re: choke

it's not a migratory game bird, now is it?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

BCHunter Guest

i'm getting confused...full or not? will i ruin my gun ...like i've been told

True its not a migratory bird, however they still fly and are comparable in size to a goose. Given most people will say "you shoot turkey's on the ground", but I know of people from this last season shooting them out of the sky. Ive shot 3 1/2" #2 steel loads and #4 lead loads with both full and super-full chokes, I didnt notice much diffrence.

But I'll try switching chokes this week when I get out, maybe I'll end up hitting and killing more ducks than usual. No harm in trying to improve the kill ratio. Would you still use a #2 or go with a #4 for modified choke and 3" shells?

Post Re: choke

a turkey can be shot with lead legally, and should be shot with lead shot...steel isnt as lethal (unless you're kidding yourself)

BCHunter,

if the choke tube is MODIFIED LEAD/FULL STEEL, it is perfectly safe to shoot steel shot through it. My friend has a Remington 1100 semi 3" 12 gauge with a fixed full choke (meant for lead) and he's shot thousands of steel loads through it, and pulled down more birds than I care to share.

Try going out and patterning your shotgun with the shell you're hunting with. Bring different chokes and try then at, say, 40 yards. Most pellet #'s within a pie plate size target is the one you should have screwed into the end of your shotgun when you're in the field.