Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mmm? goose hunting

Lightbulb Re: mmm? goose hunting

butt

belly

beak

bang
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Re: mmm? goose hunting

* Aim for the Head/Neck (know your lead) Body shots waste meat, steel shot sucks, shot placement is key.

*birds land INTO the wind

*let them get CLOSE. CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE (30yrds and in)

*lots of time at the trap range. practice every year. know how your shotgun shoots

*pattern your loads, find the one that works best in your gun

*follow the bird untill it hits the ground, dead or not. when the goose hits dirt, aquire a new target. they might need a second shot, this method lets you hit them again in short order if need be.

GOOD LUCK.

Post Re: mmm? goose hunting

I don't call a whole lot anymore, unless the birds turn away from our spread I'll hit them with some long moans. Lately I just let them come if they've spotted our dekes.

I set the dekes up with no real strict layout, just usually a U shape or J. Sometimes within the U or J they are in family groups of 3-6 dekes, spread out loosly if its warm and tighter if it's colder.

Low profile blinds or goose chairs work alot better than big permanent blinds, but different areas call for different techniques I suppose. For my area Im still learning what works, its a long process that dont really ever end.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004