pattern of the decoys

thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: mmm? goose hunting

12 gauge, 3" BB or BBB steel Hi Vel

28" Browning BPS

40-50 yard shots

4-6 dozen dekes usually set in a J or U shape
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

BCHunter Guest

if we are missing a tonne do you think we are shooing at them to close..our patterns are to small? too tight of a pattern?

I have a remington 870 that only shoots 2 3/4" shells. It has a 28" barrel, modified choke.

I shoot Winchester HV steel shot size BB or #2. I prefer BB. If I had a 3" gun I would definately shoot BB all the time as I shoot #2 for a first shot sometimes becuase of a higher pellet count and I seem to drop more geese with a broken wing than anything else.
    I usually set decoys in a "V" and I only have 15 (hunt over water). I have a buddy who has magnum goose shell decoys for field hunting and on the 2 occasions I went with him I think we put out about 4 dozen.
    I try not to shoot over 50 yards and that longer distance would be an overhead shot. If you think they are too close, shoot sooner!!!
    Buddi doing what she does best!

If you are missing try a smaller shot size so you get more pellets in the pattern. Also when you are leading try to lead the head not the body. so even if you are too far ahead your pattern will still have a chance to hit the head area, and likewise if you are too far behind you still have a chance at the body.

Thumbs down Re: mmm? goose hunting

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunter
    if we are missing a tonne do you think we are shooing at them to close..our patterns are to small? too tight of a pattern?

maybe you have poor shotgunning technique and need to spend some time at the trap range

ex bc guide Guest

Not looking for insults, Just a little help, thanks to those who have.
    Mike

BCHunter Guest

the trap range is a good idea...

I find that it only takes a few times at the trap range to get back on track with shotgunning. It's amazing how much it improves your shooting on waterfowl and grouse.

I'd check your patter on paper as well at ranges from 25-40 yards to see what your pattern is doing. Some guys use paper plates with a black dot to help you aim to try out different loads at different range. Any plate with less then a dozen or so pellets throught it, or poor patter shouldn't be used for that given range.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

BCHunter Guest

thanks for the tip marc...ex and I talked about doing just that.