Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic duck calls

Acrylic duck calls

Well the last time I was out my old trusted duck call of almost 10 years lost its tune and finally croaked. Not bad I guess for a plastic duck call. I got it when I signed up as a supporter of Delta Waterfowl.

Well I hmmed and hawwwed long and hard and decided that now that I planned on doing a lot more waterfowl hunting over the salt chuck I decided it was time to try an acrylic call from a reputable call maker. Acrylic is denser then wood and sounds closer to wood then plastic, it also doesn't swell when it gets wet. This will be the first of my high price tag calls and we'll see how it performs before I decide I get another.

My wife nearly killed me when she found out what I spent my B-day money on..."Why do you need another call? You already have a bunch?!" Try and explain that to the wife. I compared it to her having to have different types of shoes but we wont go there.

I went to several manufacturer’s websites and listened to the different calls they produced and this is the one that caught my attention. It’s made by RNT or Rich N Tone duck calls. The call I decided on is called the Daisy Cutter. Sweet sounding call and if I can work it half as good as the guy in the sound clip I’ll be laughing all the way to the blind. I searched quite a few other waterfowl and calling websites and it seemed that this call stood out from all the rest for close in work and medium range/loudness. Here is what it looks like but the one I ordered is coming in Mallard Green. I should have it sometime next week I figure.

Does anyone else on the site have any RNT calls and if so how do you like them? Any other makes of Acrylic calls out there from you duckers?

Man it's going to be a long off season... I'm going to drive my wife, not to mention the dogs, bonkers with the new call for the next 6-8 months
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Acrylic duck calls

My old favourite wooden call has gone missing . I also would like to hear from anyone who uses acrylic calls. Better ?? Best ?
    Use Enough Dog !!

I use the Foiles Dead Meat Mallard in both single and double reed.I also have a 1/2 dozen acrylic goose calls by Foiles,Zink,Saunders,and Basin calls.I find myself using the Lesser calls more often,as the high pitch carries farther and pulls in Honkers as well as small geese.My spec calls are only used on the prairies.If I was to buy another acrylic duck call it would probably be the Foiles Timber Rattler(double reed) Gunner

Love the daisy cutter and the original, for that matter I also have a few Quack Heads (non-acrylic) thrown in my bag for friends or for a twist. Right now my go to calls are custom acrylics form David Gaston at Gaston calls. I love the sound of them but it’s his service that keeps me coming back. Tell him how you call, the types of area’s you hunt, what color you want and it’s done. If you don’t like the sound send it back and he’ll retune it. If you still don’t like it he’ll call you have you put the phone on speaker and blow the call and rework it, and if you’re a terrible caller like me he’ll even give you free calling tips
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

RNT calls rock! I have a couple quackheads, and love them.

For true acrylic I have a Sean Mann that was basically made for me and it's always with me.

One suggestion if are going to spend some $$ on a call, call the manufactuers. Almost all are small shops, even though they may seem big and you can often speak directly with "the name". Last time I called RNT I ended up speaking with Butch Rickenback himself! Anyways, talk to them, tell them what you want and they can suggest a call, or tune one for you if you order direct. I'm lucky to have a decoy customer that is a retired world goose calling champ, but you don't need a connection like that to get the exact call for you!

Very best,

Ian

I have a primos call. It is called the "NAG". Unfortunately it freezes up and the reed sticks. I have to keep it close to my body to keep it from freezing & that makes it hard to get at when I need it.

I have a RNT Quackhead Timber. Sounds great, single reed, and turns green heads. Have not had the reed stick yet. I love using it.

Longshot jr.

I don't have an Acrylic, but I plan on trying to build my own acrylic calls on my new wood lathe. That is after the balsa float stash is finished.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post

One suggestion if are going to spend some $$ on a call, call the manufactuers. Almost all are small shops, even though they may seem big and you can often speak directly with "the name". Last time I called RNT I ended up speaking with Butch Rickenback himself! Anyways, talk to them, tell them what you want and they can suggest a call, or tune one for you if you order direct. I'm lucky to have a decoy customer that is a retired world goose calling champ, but you don't need a connection like that to get the exact call for you!

Very best,

Ian
    It's kind of funny that you mention this as it's his name RNT gave me if I had any questions.

I also ordered up a goose call from another call maker, and who calls me from Illinois because we were having troubles with my credit card going through? Hunter Grounds, Tim Grounds son who won the 1999, 2000, 2003 World Junior goose calling championship as well as the 2003, 2005, and 2007 Senior world goose calling championship and is now retired from calling at ripe old age of 20 This young man is amazing. Had a great down to earth conversation with him and he told me he was sorry for not getting back to me earlier as his lab was having puppies as we spoke on the phone. Same thing he said if I had any questions or needed something fixed not to hesitate to call them.

Can't wait to get the calls and drive the wife bonkers!

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Been using the RNT Microhen in cocabola, great sounding call with lots of volume , needed a single reed for reed freezing reasons...

Tim Grounds....I use his calls for goose and duck, great guy on the phone and will make your call sound the way you want it.....