Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladner Marsh - how to piss of a hunter

Ladner Marsh - how to piss of a hunter

Here's the story...

I've been hunting in the Ladner Marsh for the last twenty years. In the last several months, I have been appalled at the amount of garbage other hunters have left behind. Never before, in all the time I've spent hunting, have I seen such disgraceful behaviour.

And I know it's other waterfowlers leaving their garbage behind, because the proof is all in the evidence - expended shotgun shells, shotgun shell boxes, duck carcasses, and the rubber gloves used to clean said duck carcasses (who in the hell uses rubber gloves to clean their birds anyways...come on folks!).

Perhaps it's coincidence, perhaps it's not....but in the same time period, I've seen an influx of new hunters out in the marsh. I would hope someone new to the art of waterfowling would be a person aware of what our impact is on the environment, and that we are not the only ones who appreciate the beauty of the marsh. Bird watchers, kayakers and fisherman have the right to enjoy the Ladner Marsh in all it's pristine wetland splendour without having to view garbage left behind like a used condom. It's disgusting. We, as waterfowlers, need to do better.

When you go out into the wilderness, pack in what you need, and pack out what you do not use. Pick up your spent shells, remove your garbage (yes, that means packing it out) and respect our wetlands. We are losing land rights all over the place, and that's because sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Duck hunting is a priviledge, not a right.

PS

To all you sky-busters out there - 3.5 inch shells DO NOT mean 90 yard shots - let em fly to you before they become so jakey they don't fly at all

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ladner Marsh - how to piss of a hunter

Well said storm; All the times I went out there I came back with pockets full of other people's garbage.

Wake up people!

very true!

Now that the duck season is over in the Ladner area maybe it wouldn't hurt if maybe everyone on the site who hunts in there went in and cleaned it up? Teach by example. People out for a walk would see people cleaning up and hopefully next fall those who made the mess will take not and clean up or not litter in the first place?

There is going to be bad apples in every bunch and it's not just the young or new hunters that litter. This is a good time to be out there to do a bit of scouting for next season or to see where the geese are hanging out.

As far as condoms go I doubt it was a duck hunter who left it there it probably came in with the tide.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

I hear ya.
    I'v heard some shooting from brunswic way past dark, I didn't even know how the people could even see what they were shooting at.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

Last time I went in to the ladner marsh near ferry road, I carried out two full bags of trash that some jerk decided to dump there, I don't see why they went through all the effort to dump it there when they could of just thrown it in some bin behind a store or even actually get it hauled away themself. I wish the guy who yelled at me and called the cops on me saw me cleaning up that place after hunting.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

guest Guest

Sad Really,
    Users of the system at times are the worst.
    I've packed many a garbage bag full of roe, worm boxes or containers, line, lure packs, beer cans, bottles you name it off the Vedder and Chehalis rivers.
    When I brought this up to BC Outdoors letter to the editor to put in their magazine I was turned down because they did not want to be negative and show tourism here in BC what the real picture is.
    Places like what you describe will get closed to hunting because of those few that have no respect.
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Now that the duck season is over in the Ladner area maybe it wouldn't hurt if maybe everyone on the site who hunts in there went in and cleaned it up? Teach by example. People out for a walk would see people cleaning up and hopefully next fall those who made the mess will take not and clean up or not litter in the first place?
    All in. Should we start a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    All in. Should we start a thread?
    Sounds like a plan, I don't live / hunt in that area otherwise I'd be there pitching in. Could be a fun day out and a chance to meet other duck hunters in your area. What better place to spend the day off but in a marsh.

Marc.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

some real dicks hunting there this year