Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wholesale coming to Nanaimo

Re: Wholesale coming to Nanaimo

Quote Originally Posted by timberhunter View Post
    So long Gone fishing, and every other small sports store from duncan to coutenay.
    I think they will survive. I know I would keep going there for some stuff for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    While this may turn out to be true in some cases, I don't think all the little guys in Kamloops disappeared when WSS showed up there??
    I was in Kamloops last year and went to some other shops besides WSS and they looked like they were doing o.k. and the service was great.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramagbob View Post
    Would make a hell of alot more sence to have on in the lowermainland/fraservalley
    I agree with you on this. That is what I was hoping for then this news popped up.

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    I agree and it's not a matter of liking it or not. I realise Naniamo's a central "Hub" location as far as the island is concerned. I was merely pointing out the population density and numbers in the greater Victoria. I'd prefer it to be a Naniamo location. That would make it a lot closer and convenient for me.
    I should have worded that differently and your right in that Greater Victoria and surrounding area is half the Islands population. For access from alot of communities on the island Nanaimo is the logical choice. Alot of traveling sportspeople come through Nanaimo to get to where they are going on the Island. I think this could be a factor as well.

Interesting, this is the first I've heard of this.

As far as Nanaimo being the 'Hub' of the island, I'd have to agree with that to some extent. Living at the far north end, I go to Campbell river quite often if I can't find what I need up here, and often to Nanaimo if I can't find what I need in Campbell. If Nanaimo doesn't have it, I'm more likely to hop on a boat and do my (and moreso the wife's) major shopping in the big smoke.

The other thing is that Nanaimo has a glut of industrial land. Up at the north end of strip mall city there's piles of big lot affordable real estate suitable for big box stores. Not so in Victoria.

And lastly, just a hope that we don't all abandon the smaller stores on the Island that have served us well for years if WSS comes. You simply can't get the personalised service, honest advice for newbs etc. that you can get from places like Grandlunds. Or the former Johnson's in Nanaimo.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I'll never leave stores that give me on average, 25-30% off
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 01-22-2009 at 11:28 AM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybear View Post
    For access from alot of communities on the island Nanaimo is the logical choice. Alot of traveling sportspeople come through Nanaimo to get to where they are going on the Island. I think this could be a factor as well.
    I'm with you and besides, lets keep it above the 49th. Now, I have to work on Salty and get him to forget the North end and go for 'development' and have WSS establish on the south end. If I could work that a little further south, I could walk there. I can just imagine how much that would please my wife. About the same reaction as I get to my 'shopping' trips at P&d when we're in the Edmonton area.

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    Now, I have to work on Salty and get him to forget the North end and go for 'development' and have WSS establish on the south end. If I could work that a little further south, I could walk there.
    I know, I know its tough Hummer. Tough not to think that the south island is the centre of the universe.

Tell you what though, if relocate further south some day, and prolly will if the boss get's her way - I'd rather by pass Parkville and Partsville (Nanaimo) completely so I wouldn't have to look at those acres of ugly freaking strip malls! The reason I like Victoria and the general area is for the lack of big box uber ugly vinyl siding developments. Might as well put the box stores where its already tacky and ugly I say.... Which, hey! That's a closer drive for me right now OK?

Besides, you love driving the Malahat don't kid us....

edit- I just checked your location dude -your're not in Vic you're about half way between Vic and Partsville so you can't go wrong either way...
    Last edited by Salty; 01-22-2009 at 12:25 PM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I think it would be great. I do alot of mail order because what few local stores there are on the island that deal with hunting/archery gear just seem to charge too much for me to justify spending the extra $$$ in support of a local small buisness. Regardless of where I live on the Island, I agree Nanaimo is the best location.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramagbob View Post
    Sounds like a piss poor business plan to me.Would make a hell of alot more sence to have on in the lowermainland/fraservalley.I understand realestate is more expensive but the shear # of people that would be shopping there would offset that pretty quickly

AGREED!!!!!

..........and Cabelas is coming to Duncan.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    AGREED!!!!!
    Naaaaa, Naniamo, south end, sounds great. There's lots on the mainland already.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    AGREED!!!!!
    Im brilliant..Need a new business manager??