Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chronic wasting diseasr

chronic wasting diseasr

with the growing concern with the possibility of chronic wasting disease finding its way into BC the moe is considering a change is regulations concerning the importing of moose, deer , elk, caribou etc from the other western provinces and the US. here is the proposed legislation note it is only proposed but in the works.

Proposed Regulation:
    Restriction on import or possession of cervids killed outside of BC
    (1) A person commits an offence by possessing or importing cervid heads, hides, hooves, spinal columns, internal organs, and mammary gland harvested outside of British Columbia after April 1, 2009.
    (2) For the purpose of this section, a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland includes any part or derivative of a cervid head, hide, hoof, spinal column, internal organ, or mammary gland.
    (3) For the purpose of this section, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of a cervid hide from outside the province if, before entering British Columbia, the hide is detached from the carcass and processed by a tanner or taxidermist prior to import in such a way as to remove all tissue and hair from the hide within five days.
    (4) For the purpose of subsection, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of cervid antlers or skull if, before entering British Columbia, these parts are detached from the remainder of the skull and all hide and other tissues has been removed.
    (5) For the purpose of subsection, a person is exempted if the cervid or cervid part is imported by or on behalf of a government agency or department of another jurisdiction for the purpose of scientific examination by veterinarian or recognized laboratory in BC, if from the time it enters into BC until it arrive at its intended destination, it is sealed in a waterproof container from which no fluid, tissue, or hair can escape.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: chronic wasting diseasr

respecting possession of cervid antlers or skull if, before entering British Columbia, these parts are detached from the remainder of the skull and all hide and other tissues has been removed.
    Wording may have to be straightened out, but I read that skulls may have to be boiled out before importing.

Wonder how the sampling effort went here in BC this last season ? Was there enough advertising to get participation ?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

So bridger, will that mean that those that travel out of province and are successful in harvesting something big, wouldn't be able to bring it home to be mounted by their local taxidermist? Unless, I guess they boil the skull plate and get a cape from a BC animal? Taxidermist's may not be too happy if that is the case. I'm sure that is part of their business, at least those that are close to the border.

Port Alberni in Hunting season, Bamfield in fishing season.

I am amazed it has taken this long to do anything about this. I hunted down in Colorado regularly for 4 years with a couple of friends, and during those 4 seasons we took back 10 bucks in the back of a truck. Never had any questions at the border other than "Wow, where did you kill those?"

This is where CWD was originated in the late 60s. (I have another very interesting story as to that for another thread smetime)
    Of the 10 bucks we brought home, 4 proved to have CWD. The tests done on the skulls down there took so long, that we had allready boned out, and wrapped the meat, only to find it had to be disgarded....
    God invented Whitetails for people who cant hunt Blacktails.

There's a lot more reading on this about what other jurisdictions are trying to do to protect themselves from CWD.

Maybe Bridger could post some of it up?

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by gbear View Post
    So bridger, will that mean that those that travel out of province and are successful in harvesting something big, wouldn't be able to bring it home to be mounted by their local taxidermist? Unless, I guess they boil the skull plate and get a cape from a BC animal? Taxidermist's may not be too happy if that is the case. I'm sure that is part of their business, at least those that are close to the border.

that is what it means. If this will keep cwd out of our province in the long run i am confident that the taxidermists will understand. My view it is in everyones best interest to do what we can.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    There's a lot more reading on this about what other jurisdictions are trying to do to protect themselves from CWD.

Maybe Bridger could post some of it up?

try and do it first of the week. heading out for three day wolf hunt today

(3) For the purpose of this section, a person does not commit an offence respecting possession of a cervid hide from outside the province if, before entering British Columbia, the hide is detached from the carcass and processed by a tanner or taxidermist prior to import in such a way as to remove all tissue and hair from the hide within five days.

Hairless taxidermy? That's a new wrinkle. The reg does say ' remove all tissue and hair '. Either something is amiss or it will mean only tanned (hairless) hides and antlers devoid of all hair and tissue. How will this affect transporting meat without evidence of sex attached?
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

How does this apply for those who regularly hunt in Saskatchewan and just drive their bucks home to be processed? Given the fact that hides, carcass, and antlers are separate with tags affixed to each.

Say a person shoots a big white-tailed buck in Sask and wants a euro mount with a taxi in BC?? Or even a head mount and needs to bring the hides back etc. Or even the whole body for processing at a butcher here?
    Last edited by BCrams; 01-24-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Rams,
    It sounds like they want the animals processed where they came from. Obviously it'll be more costly now for guys to hunt out-of-province, but given the seriousness of CWD, I think these rules are justified. Hunters will have to do their homework and pick out a meat processer and a taxidermist in the area they are hunting. Would be tragic if BC's deer herds were infected due to the careless act of a hunter bringing in a contaminated carcus.

Prowler,
    Just curious if you contacted the Ministry when you found out that your CO bucks were infected? How did you get rid of your contaminated hides and meat?