Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: southern interior mule deer strategy?

Re: southern interior mule deer strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    We have a lot of roads in the Okanagan. No one is going to argue that. Of course ratios are lower near roads and increased line-of-sight.
    Working with the timber companies to get them to decommission roads when they are done with them would be a step in the right direction....although it does cost a lot of money. Maybe getting the Government to lower stumpage fees but make the forest companies obligated to only have a maximum road density of 'x' kilometers per square kilometer might be an idea??

Lowering road density is one way to increase buck:doe and bull:cow ratios where it is required.

SSS
    Lowering road densities is a huge step inthe right direction, and it is also the only way to limit FN harvest...

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    A VHAC's, a ditch and a sign aren't much of a deterant. Fines require enforcement and our CO's are already stretched thin.
    Complete decommissioning is the way we need to go.

You know the Ok trail riders association trails up Bear Main? They are planning to triple the amount of trails they currently have and want them to connect all the way to Peachland.
    That's bad news for wildlife.

SSS
    The regional bio must be aware of this trails situation, no? What are their plans to stop it? What about other sportsmans clubs such as the Peachland Sportsmans association, they must want to curtail this??

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Ya I have been bitchin for years, not sure if the biologist were involved when they chose the area but it started out with giving up a critical wildlife corridor and it's just got worst.
    Threw the keys to the group with a full tank of gas.

Screwed up the Resident Deer pop., staging areas ripped up with trails, escape areas destroyed.
    Free run Breeding limited.
    The only good thing is they may be keeping the predators back.

They need to start looking at shutting down certain times of the year, with those new Hybrid Bikes they can ride all year well into the critical periods.
    Poor Mule Deer.
    you know that the whole damn OK valley is winter range or should I say was....so you can pic on the vineyards and orchards that are high fenced,you can get pissed at the real estate developers and fight them and if you happen to live in the valley you can stare at the man in the mirror. Instead of lobbying to fix some one else's crap how bout you fix your own.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Total BS, dont know what they are thinking there.
    they have been riding there for more then 50 years... first time I road there was 45 years ago. I also road on Dilworth mnt..good deer habitat there now eh??
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    they have been riding there for more then 50 years... first time I road there was 45 years ago. I also road on Dilworth mnt..good deer habitat there now eh??
    Doesn't make it right, nor does it help expanding these trails, fact is its happening all over the place now, in critical winter habitat.
    I'm not against riding trails and people having fun but how about somewhere the effects are minimized?
    what side of the fence are you on?

Cause and Effect once again, can't seem to get away from it. The Okanagan is a destination place and development will continue at its present rate, and the back country user group need to be regulated.

It is going to be a hard sell when the Ministry places their sign at the trail head, money is generated through the fees, and the clubs police it.
    Not much chance fighting that battle.
    The mountain bikers have legal rights to the Myra Belview Park now, just announced this year, stay tuned there also. Who knows they may kick out the hunters from the tracks down.
    Might be a good Special Weapons Area?

Just Gets Better
    Last edited by bownut; 02-19-2017 at 08:07 AM.

Maybe this should be new thread it could get pretty heated. Fisher Dude may have a thing or two to say.

How about range enhancement projects in cooperation with riding clubs. I am sure the range is poor regardless of riders. There could be some political pressure put on them to mitigate damage. You would have a good hard working crew. a designation area where cooperation to mutual ends is an example. Way to much pointing fingers.
    .blaming and fighting others , wishing for the past which was never really as good as remembered anyway.. We need to be creative rather then just restrictive. There could even be a route where the groups efforts are showcased like the forestry tours. This could be a good thing!
    It is easy for me to say but not so much to do.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    How about range enhancement projects in cooperation with riding clubs. I am sure the range is poor regardless of riders. There could be some political pressure put on them to mitigate damage. You would have a good hard working crew. a designation area where cooperation to mutual ends is an example. Way to much pointing fingers.
    .blaming and fighting others , wishing for the past which was never really as good as remembered anyway.. We need to be creative rather then just restrictive. There could even be a route where the groups efforts are showcased like the forestry tours. This could be a good thing!
    It is easy for me to say but not so much to do.
    That would be a great way of doing things, hire a independent to watch over things and pay him out of the user fees.
    I may be wrong but I think they started with a Grant Money, so the club was well on their way with the funding.

Need to stop with "they" .Better to use "we". Sorry but my neck gets up with the
    "us" against "them". Cause I am them but also us.
    I ride,use a quad,have sleds,my kids mnt bike. I have used horses in backcountry,canoes,boats, I backpack,I hunt,fish,run hounds. I also work in forestry intrustry. I have guided. I have worked in ranching industry as a hand and shoeing horses. I have a trade as well as a degree. I have lived in the city as well live in the country.
    The longer folks talk on here the more people they alienate. Nobody has clean hands.
    people love to be righteousness but not honest!