Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: southern interior mule deer strategy?

Re: southern interior mule deer strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    We have a lot of roads in the Okanagan. No one is going to argue that. Of course ratios are lower near roads and increased line-of-sight.
    Working with the timber companies to get them to decommission roads when they are done with them would be a step in the right direction....although it does cost a lot of money. Maybe getting the Government to lower stumpage fees but make the forest companies obligated to only have a maximum road density of 'x' kilometers per square kilometer might be an idea??

Lowering road density is one way to increase buck:doe and bull:cow ratios where it is required.

SSS
    I agree totally on road deactivation all it can do is help lighten up all kinds of human pressure. Recreational Riding, Hunter Access, First Nations, will all have to take a step back.

If there is any way to up the anti on fines that would also help the cause, guys go out and do stupid stuff and when they get caught they walk away with a warning or at best a
    parking ticket. Not Good.

Road Closer signs and a ditch doesn't cost a bunch, and I bet the local club members would probably go install them for the price of a hotdog and a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    No what I am saying is that they have both adapted to the habitat changes and it seem everyone wants to blame the the W/t for the decline in Mule Deer, I am not sure that id the case when you factor
    everything else. When we can get more conclusive data on what the predation rates are then we may be able to get closer to the truth.
    Hey bownut!
    You should talk to our bio. He's a bownut himself and a good shit.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Does fire suppression and forest ingrowth make habitat more suitable for whitetails of mule deer??
    I think I may have confused you, I am all for fires it's been working for years . Guide Outfitters have been burning for years with great success.
    What I was getting at was that we have had so many free burns lately and if funds are such a problem, then take time to study those results.

I can't imagine the paper work and administrative costs that go into a request for a Controlled Burn, can't be cheap?

Back when the north needed burning to create habitat those evil Guide Outfitters that we so much want to hate probably did it out of pocket.
    Bad Bad Boys Shame On you!
    Last edited by bownut; 02-18-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Hey bownut!
    You should talk to our bio. He's a bownut himself and a good shit.
    Don't worry I am on it. Probably closer to me than most think he just doesn't know that yet.

I agree totally on road deactivation all it can do is help lighten up all kinds of human pressure. Recreational Riding, Hunter Access, First Nations, will all have to take a step back.

If there is any way to up the anti on fines that would also help the cause, guys go out and do stupid stuff and when they get caught they walk away with a warning or at best a
    parking ticket. Not Good.

Road Closer signs and a ditch doesn't cost a bunch, and I bet the local club members would probably go install them for the price of a hotdog and a beer.
    A VHAC's, a ditch and a sign aren't much of a deterant. Fines require enforcement and our CO's are already stretched thin.
    Complete decommissioning is the way we need to go.

You know the Ok trail riders association trails up Bear Main? They are planning to triple the amount of trails they currently have and want them to connect all the way to Peachland.
    That's bad news for wildlife.

SSS

A VHAC's, a ditch and a sign aren't much of a deterant. Fines require enforcement and our CO's are already stretched thin.

You know the Ok trail riders association trails up Bear Main? They are planning to triple the amount of trails they currently have and want them to connect all the way to Peachland.

SSS
    I am sorry but why is bad news?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    I am sorry but why is bad news?
    critical winter habitat...

SSS
    Ya I have been bitchin for years, not sure if the biologist were involved when they chose the area but it started out with giving up a critical wildlife corridor and it's just got worst.
    Threw the keys to the group with a full tank of gas.

Screwed up the Resident Deer pop., staging areas ripped up with trails, escape areas destroyed.
    Free run Breeding limited.
    The only good thing is they may be keeping the predators back.

They need to start looking at shutting down certain times of the year, with those new Hybrid Bikes they can ride all year well into the critical periods.
    Poor Mule Deer.

Total BS, dont know what they are thinking there.

Ya I have been bitchin for years, not sure if the biologist were involved when they chose the area but it started out with giving up a critical wildlife corridor and it's just got worst.
    Threw the keys to the group with a full tank of gas.

Screwed up the Resident Deer pop., staging areas ripped up with trails, escape areas destroyed.
    Free run Breeding limited.
    The only good thing is they may be keeping the predators back.

They need to start looking at shutting down certain times of the year, with those new Hybrid Bikes they can ride all year well into the critical periods.
    Poor Mule Deer.
    Currently there are 1200kms of trails and they want to take it over over 3000 and make it a destination for trail riders of Western North America. They chomp at the bit in the late winter to hit the trails (During critical spring green up) and don't let up until the snow pushes them off in November (sometimes late November like this past year).

My buddy is VP and says he's never seen a deer while riding over the years. No wonder as Displacement due to disturbance would likely cause them to not utilize the area any time the trails are in use.

Total shame.

SSS