Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: southern interior mule deer strategy?

Re: southern interior mule deer strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Went for another hike in the same area yesterday. My Foxpro crapped out so I spent more time behind the glass.
    Saw ~50 Whities, 40 mulies and a cow and calf moose. This was in a pretty small area. Not sure if the crusty snow pushed the mulies lower or maybe it was the fact that I was more of a viewer than an interractor than previous visit?

Either way burns on winter range can't be all that bad. The browse in there is pretty amazing and the deer seem to think so too.

Just one hunter's observations.

SSS
    Forest fires are perhaps the only activity that should be going on in wintering grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    Forest fires are perhaps the only activity that should be going on in wintering grounds.
    x2 in a big way!

Absolutely, and it should be happening with regularity.

Would love to see our winter ranges shut down to human activity at the most critical times like many of the states do. Tough to do when we've built homes on the majority of it.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post

Would love to see our winter ranges shut down to human activity at the most critical times like many of the states do. Tough to do when we've built homes on the majority of it.
    Dont confuse private land with Crown land...
    Homes haven't been built on the majority of it,, and we need to act now before its too late to curtail activity on Crown land.

And this is the problem with region 8, this is our primary fight, not hunting regulations....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Went for another hike in the same area yesterday. My Foxpro crapped out so I spent more time behind the glass.
    Saw ~50 Whities, 40 mulies and a cow and calf moose. This was in a pretty small area. Not sure if the crusty snow pushed the mulies lower or maybe it was the fact that I was more of a viewer than an interractor than previous visit?

Either way burns on winter range can't be all that bad. The browse in there is pretty amazing and the deer seem to think so too.

Just one hunter's observations.

SSS
    Very nice, same with my observations of one small burned part of winter range...had my T cam up, got mostly whitetail, lots of whitetail, they're doing just fine in this heavily hunted area of region 8....

nothing to do with mule deer but I would bet with the changes to WT (no longer 2 does ..now 1 buck 1 doe) the number of hunters heading there to 8 from other parts will be way down...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    And this is the problem with region 8, this is our primary fight, not hunting regulations....
    Its all regions in southern bc, it could easily be extended to all regions in bc

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    x2 in a big way!

Dont confuse private land with Crown land...
    Homes haven't been built on the majority of it,, and we need to act now before its too late to curtail activity on Crown land.
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Its all regions in southern bc, it could easily be extended to all regions in bc

We need a lot more thinking like this.....
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Of course we do goatguy, thats what I meant when I referred to hurting the feelings and holding those accountable for idiotic land use.