Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: southern interior mule deer strategy?

southern interior mule deer strategy?

i read in the outdoor edge mag about this it will include regions 3,4,5 and 8 but gave no details about what the strategy is or what will be affected.anyone out thier have any details on this?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: southern interior mule deer strategy?

I haven't heard any specific details so far, but I believe the main point is to harmonize seasons across the regions to spread the hunting pressure out more.

For instance, the any buck season in region 5 has been until Nov 20 for several years, while adjacent region 3 is 4 pt or greater all of November. This leads to more people hunting region 5, so they can shoot anything with antlers, rather than searching for 4 pt or greater bucks in region 3.

A consistent approach to mule deer management.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I also heard they want to establish seperate provincial bag limits for Mule Deer and White Tailed Deer.

3 against one whether there will be a rut hunt for mulies..
    Last edited by horshur; 01-20-2009 at 11:43 PM.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    3 against one whether there will be a rut hunt for mulies..
    What??? Am I missing something here? This doesnt make any sense to me!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

Oh come off it guys!!!

do some speculating.

region 8 rifle closes nov 10....region 4 closes nov 15 or nov 10 couple areas close dec 10 but you could say the majority of region 4 is done by middle of November.
    region 5 has a great big cluster*#$%^ and came close to shutting down early like region 8 last year---do you realy think buck/doe ratios fixed themselves over a season???
    allas..region 3 has a closure Dec 10.

Do you suppose it is possible that earlier closers in 5,4,8 may take precident in there harmonizing rather than the generous closer of 3????

Damn straight!!!

do you all think it would be good for BC and it's sportsmen/women to not have a late season Rut hunt in the southern interior?? Cause that is a real possibility as it stands right now.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Parts of region 8 close Oct 31. Just depends on the numbers of deer in the area.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    Parts of region 8 close Oct 31. Just depends on the numbers of deer in the area.
    I would have to say that is due to the head bio in region 8 more than anything......

Mule deer numbers are as high as I have seen them in 8-12 these days.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Oh come off it guys!!!

do some speculating.

region 8 rifle closes nov 10....region 4 closes nov 15 or nov 10 couple areas close dec 10 but you could say the majority of region 4 is done by middle of November.
    region 5 has a great big cluster*#$%^ and came close to shutting down early like region 8 last year---do you realy think buck/doe ratios fixed themselves over a season???
    allas..region 3 has a closure Dec 10.

Do you suppose it is possible that earlier closers in 5,4,8 may take precident in there harmonizing rather than the generous closer of 3????

Damn straight!!!

do you all think it would be good for BC and it's sportsmen/women to not have a late season Rut hunt in the southern interior?? Cause that is a real possibility as it stands right now.
    That worries me a bit too Andy. I think (take that for what it's worth!) that the best thing in the long run would be more harmonized seasons, as long as that doesn't mean losing too much hunter opportunity, overall. I hope we'd see lengthened seasons in some areas, to balance out any seasons that get shortened elsewhere. As much as I'd miss the really long Region 3 season, I guess I'd have to suck it up and say I'd be willing to have our season here shortened a bit (I'm cringing as I type that one), if it meant increased opportunities for hunters in other areas. I don't see why Region 8 hunters shouldn't benefit from longer seasons, if it is fine for the local MD populations. Spread everyone out, and I bet most areas could sustain more liberal seasons and you might even get a few new hunters interested.

Maybe more liberal WT seasons wold help ease pressure on Muleys in some areas as well. From everything I read/hear/see, WT's are spreading quickly in Region 3 and a 4-month any buck season doesn't seem to be doing anything to slow that down - seems like a 2-buck bag limit for WT's could be do-able. Which might allow for a longer Muley season as more hunters might spend more time hunting WT's...?

Also we are losing our current Region 3 bio here pretty soon...I'm wondering wheree things will go after that.
    "The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln