Thread: Minimum Arrow Weight.

Minimum Arrow Weight.

Recommended minimum arrow weight is 5gr per pound of draw weight, I want to a get 60# bow, so this puts my mini. at 300gr. My question....does that include the broadhead/point!!? I'm thinking that it doesn't...right....wrong!!? thanks!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Minimum Arrow Weight.

yes it does ... it means total arrow weight including point, shaft, fletches and nock

going by IBO (International Bowhunting Organization) Standards
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

IMNSHO you want your arrow weight heavier. When the arrow is too light the bow does not function properly. More like dry firing.

There is always a lot of debate on arrow speed versus arrow weight. I put my money on the weight of the arrow. I had been shooting a 700 grain arrow, but since I've gone to carbons I shoot 640. My opinion, keep it close to 500 as a minimum.

Depends on what you are doing... target shooters might want the lightest thickest line cutter arrows as possible to increase speed and flatten trajectory whereas hunting arrows ought to be smaller diameter and heavier for better penetration.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Bow Walker Guest

Hermit has hit the nail right on the noggin'. Target shooters are pushing the boundaries - all the time. Hunters are after KE, and Penetration.

Some bow companies are now OK with a 3-grain per pound rule. But. As JT has stated, too light an arrow is like dry firing your bow - waaay to much stress on the limbs.

Thanks guys! I'll be using this bow(when i get it!!) for hunting, so I'll be looking for good penetration, what is a good weight to be looking at with a 60# draw? Again thanks, appreciate it!

Perry
    The man who smiles when things go wrong....has thought of someone to blame it on!!

Light travels faster than sound!......He looked pretty bright.....Until he spoke!!

Bow Walker Guest

I'm shooting 60 bs and I'm using Gold Tip's Expedition Hunters in the camo version. Plenty of KE, and penetration (which is important to the younger crowd). Not been dissapointed yet.

I'm planning on a Spring bear hunt with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    I'm planning on a Spring bear hunt with them.
    Thats what i'd like to take first, a bear, not a spring though, it'll be almost spring bear when i get it, so i'll spend the summer practicing and work at getting a fall bear! been sizing up the Carbon X line up, good arrows!!?

Perry