Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which dog to get??

Re: Which dog to get??

I'm agreeing with betteroffishing here. I think if you don't really want a dog, the best kind to get for your kids would be the kind that comes with batteries included. Or take them to a local shelter to volunteer - that way the get the hands on doggy time without forcing you to make a commitment you aren't ready to make.

I will vote for springers myself but you MUST be ready to spend time with any of the suggested breeds. They all require training and time spent with them.

You can have an amazing dog of any breed it all boils down to how you train them and how much time you spend with them.

We have a field bred springer so she doesn't grow the long hair all round only "feathers". I, like your wife was adament about the shedding. Our springer is clipped down to almost nothing every summer so a lot of people ask us if she is a shorthair and we use a "furminator" to keep her in tip top shape. Even if you don't keep up on it, there is very little shedding with a field bred springer.

Also, springers are very receptive to all ages of children and are very loyal and easy to train. Our girl will only do her business in one corner behind our shop so I don't have to worry about cleanup all over the yard. We have done this training with all of our dogs including the dog we fostered for a while and it only takes a couple days.

Having said that though.. by your post it doesn't sound like you are ready as a family to make this commitment (I may have misunderstood). I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a dog unless 100% sure they are able to follow thru with attention, training etc. Any breed of dog is only as good as you make it.

Best of luck in your decision.
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

Quote Originally Posted by betteroffishing View Post
    you doing your part on the training is vital. the kids want a dog but you dont. sounds like a dog not worth having because, at the end of the day the job will be yours. just my 2 c , not a judgement at all.
    X2 Guy not far for here used to use a standard poodle for cougar. You sound like a cat guy to me
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

I agree with Kinderdoggin and Betteroffishing. If you are not ready to take on the responsibility of a dog, then both the dog and yourself are better off in the long run.

If you had to find a dog that doesn't shed I have another suggestion, but I only suggest this dog with EXTREME caution. Extreme meaning that this dog needs a lot of people and dog socialization. My parents bought this dog a few years back. Great outdoor and indoor dog. He is somewhat protects the house, yet is very gentle with kids and even protects my younger brother if we "play fight" in front of him. He gets attached to a family, and I would argue that he could be an excellent hunting/sporting dog, although this is not what he was bought for. Yes, Poodles were meant for hunting and this dog exhibits a hunting instinct.

Best of all.....No shedding.

I believe he is a cross between airedale or wheaton terrier and poodle. As far as I know it's the terrier in him that you have to watch out for.
    Last edited by Ben Fougere; 01-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks for all the replies, don't get me wrong, we love dogs and had them before and realize the responsibility involved, but right now with young kids that are involved with sports etc. , I just am debating if we truely have the time that is required for a companion as such.
    That being said we are not saying no 100% either so thats why this thread is here, a good sporting breed that doesn't shed (wife put that part in)! I still am a fan of the lab, bar-none your best friend with lots of capabilities but after some research on spaniels, they seemlike they fit the bill as well.
    I just dred the puppy distructive stage! LOL
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

You may want to consider a started pup. We purchased our pup from Hupper Kennels at 6 months and she was already introduced to the sound of guns and had some knowledge of the "game" as he is a trainer and does field trials on his property. Also, she was past the messy puppy stage.

There is also another reputable breeder in Ontario who sells what they call the "perfect pup" They will introduce the pup to cap guns and retrieval etc. They are Springville Springers. Springville no longer train the pups/dogs themselves but send them out.

Winston at Hupper Kennels charged us 900.00 plus crate and shipping(flight) not sure if that is his going rate as he wasn't originally going to sell Zena he wanted her for his breeding program and field trials. We were going to wait for a pup or go elsewhere and he offered her to us because he thought she would fit in with our family really well.

Springville charges 1500.00 plus the extras.

Hey I have 2 brittany's ones 30 lbs, the other is 45 lbs. They are awesome dogs... but dogs are a ton of work. They need to be fed, brushed, walked, and poop picked up. If you dont' really want a dog. You shouldn't get one unless your going to be committed to devoting 7-16 years to it depending on which breed you go for. I agree with trying walking a few dogs from the SPCA first, 4-5 times a week. See if the kids can handle that first before you dive into owning your own dog. Please do your research.

"Maximum of Quality in the Minimum of Size!'
    Monsieur Gaston Pouchain

My big want would be a dog that requires no leash...is there such a thing?

We've had/have beagles and my next pup will be a leash-less dog. One that will jump in the truck and cruise to the store, sleep in the truck waiting for you to return. Also one that doesn't shed and the 40 lbs would be a bonus.........keep the suggestions coming.........
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Brittany's are totally portable. I used to have boxers and 85lbs vs 30-45 makes such a difference. But they for sure need lots of exercise to keep them mellow. I can actually keep 2 brittanys for the same price as one large dog. (food bills) Plus guys you can hunt with them or do field trials, tracking, show dog stuff, and we are starting to do agility. Very versatile. My dogs come everywhere with me in my car. They have minimal shedding. And very little grooming. Now a dog with no leash.... they never even have collars on any more. As I did alot of remote training with them when they were younger. I still have to do reminder lessons with them just as follow up. (as they are both under the age of 2)

"Maximum of Quality in the Minimum of Size!'
    Monsieur Gaston Pouchain

i would go with a lab. they don't shed as much as some people would think if you groom them properly. besides, they look nicer than poodles and other breeds. personally, i would never buy any of the dogs pictured in this thread because i don't like they way they look. i'm sure they are great dogs, don't get me wrong. but since i have to look at the dog every day, i think something that looks nice to you is just as important as one that meets your other criteria. dogs are a pretty personal choice.
    "Good" - Jocko Willink