Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which dog to get??

Which dog to get??

Well, we have a delima in our household, the kids are bugging me for a dog, we don't really want one but if I got one it would be a lab as they are just the best breed IMO but the wife says it cannot shed period, so she is looking at labridoodles etc and I don't like the looks of them as they look like a gay poodle.
    What I'm asking for is a dog that is non-shedding, great with kids and can be a gun dog, the gun dog thing really isn't as important as being good with kids, it just has to be part of the family so to speak, what breeds would one suggest?

We want one that is about 40 pounds.
    Last edited by browningboy; 01-18-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which dog to get??

I have never met a "GAY POODLE" ?
    How do you know they are gay?
    do the said Poodles hang out at certain gay clubs?

They all shed , but you dont notice it as much in the short haired breeds. Though i never had one, I would like a Visala. From the write ups seems to be a good breed.I do however have two gsp s and they are a lot of work.

Yah my family owns loads of goldendoodles it is a cross between golden retrievers and poodles we breed mini's midi's and normal sizes they are great with kids, they don't shed but i'm not too sure about the hunting part haven't taken one hunting overall i love them and they are probably the choice i would take.
    this ones a 45 lbs. dog

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Golden Retreiver, and have him fixed at 6 months. My guy was about 55lbs, but was a very well tempered guy who lived to fetch. Loved kids!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

I have a springer spaniel liver and white about 45-50 pounds loves to hunt and great with people,kids.I take him to work with me every day can't think of a better breed!(Just my opinion though)P.S. I keep his hair real short get him cliped every couple months!

Brittany Spaniel - Are's is still a pup and she doesn't shed at all. Not sure if this will change later on but I'd try and swing it with your wife because this dog has the best tempermant I've found in any breed. She is very affectionate, smart, and great with my nephews ages 3 & 6.

Last edited by jayrod; 01-18-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    I have never met a "GAY POODLE" ?
    How do you know they are gay?
    do the said Poodles hang out at certain gay clubs?

As your avatar says, pipe smoker.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Thanks for the replies with input guys, I like the spaniels as they don't shed (as much) as the others, seems like the temperment is good as well, will have to do some research. Theres so many breeds but I want one thats "sporting" if you know what I mean.

Thats a real nice lookin pup Jayrod!!! If I knew how to post pics I would LOL!!!!