Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread

Pack routinely travel's this stretch of road...the willow patch on right has bait , maybe 15 snares...cedar tree snares on left of road....
    Any recreational sledders go by , who would notice.....

Followed the pack more...found a GREAT ridge back trail in the timber...this pack has used this ridge back for years and years..no deer sign anywhere...there was a GREAT stump at the edge of the timber..dropped off steep into the timber...perfect...( momentum once again)...but there was nothing to hang a snare...so...all the sudden a 'perfect little tree' appeared.

This is a VERY high probability of a kill.

Last but not least....followed the trail along the ridge ( parelled the trail from a distance)..found an AWESOME drop the wolves are ALL taking...steep...VERY well used...but no tree to snare to...so...cut an 8ft section of 4" green cedar...choked in the middle with the snare wire...hung loop over trail....when a wolf goes through , he/she pull's the cedar with it..causeing panick..chokes out dragging the log behind..wich in turn ALWAYS quickly snags up in the bush...quick dispatch....

I took photos from below looking up...and from the top looking down...

There ya have it boys & girls.......pretty well coverd all my favorite 'flavors' of snaring for wolves....wish I had a big pile of moose or beef..but have to do with following them....I'll quit putting the boring pics up...hopefully in a week or more will have some success pics...

ps.......about 90 snares out to date....160 to go ..I will use leg hold later in the season.
    Last edited by proguide66; 01-19-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: more info

Doesnt really seem sporting or like hunting. Cover the forest in snares and wait for them to catch something not to mention using a deer meat for bait instead of food. Maybe im just uneducated on it. Is trapping more for money or to thin out wolf numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Does your permit allow you to take all fur or just wolves only?

All fur......that is legally open. I am motivated here only to help keep the wolf #'s down , goat/moose/deer #'s up....I am the only person trapping in our area.....I make enough income from my buis...not too keen on skinning for hrs on end at home!..lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by killemall View Post
    Doesnt really seem sporting or like hunting. Cover the forest in snares and wait for them to catch something not to mention using a deer meat for bait instead of food. Maybe im just uneducated on it. Is trapping more for money or to thin out wolf numbers?

Follow the thread....hours and hours , years of time combined to MAYBE get some wolves.
    When anture takes its course , the predators will peak...wich means all the other game will decline , take years to recover.....trapping wolves will hopefully keep all the #'s healthy for all to enjoy each yr.

The forest doesnt get " covered"......READ !.....the pack gets followed..snared where there is NO other sign....loose coments like the one you posted are NOT accurate and can cause a shit storm with other people that arent ' educated' on the topic.

" food " ??....are you suggesting I use 2 for 1 pizza specials and toss them in the forest??

I just read this one and have always wondered how trapping was done. Very interesting, I'm excited to see the results. Oh yeah those view pics of the valley above the clouds make me hate work more.
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Excellent thread proguide66. I am really looking forward to following your progress through the weeks. Thanks for taking the time to post the Pics with some great explanations of the reasons for where and why.
    Thanks

proguide, I too am loving this thread and your pics, Ive never been trapping but its something that has always intrigued me. Thanks for taking us along and keeping the wolf pop in check!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!