Page 4 of 77 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread

its this kinda stuff! that my family and me moved to this great place. were so lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Good stuff!!!!..........quick note before I head out , our areas biologist helped me get my govt permit for the uin active line put forward in days!!!...so if you know the local bio , email him!!
    P66 what does uin stand for ?????.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    P66 what does uin stand for ?????.
    inactive is my guess....Looks like a typo. I am familiar with typos
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    inactive is my guess....Looks like a typo. I am familiar with typos

oops...yup....meant ' IN - active.....

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    So..all in all...lots of good wolf sign , loads of bobcat sign. I'm not targeting cats , but the higher I set the snares , seems the higher the bobcats jump to get in them and comitt suicide!!...but , at $400 each , they can take some cost off of chasing wolves.

60 snares placed today...should have close to 200 to 250 snares out in the next week and half....then we shall see what comes !!
    Does your permit allow you to take all fur or just wolves only?

OK..more pics....did more travelling today than setting....BUT...scored big on new trails.....found a place where a pack killed a deer..NOTHING left but a bit of fur.....note : where a wolf has killed/found meat in the past , it will check that EXACT spot out for the rest of his life...so...found a real good trail on a slope ( great for momentum through snares)...and left a deer leg ( low enough for them to get) in a patch of willow along the road intersection where the pack has been travelling often for generations. Also placed a hide....I CAREFULLY placed 2 snares on a 'perfect' spot on their main trail....as well randomly placed maybe a dozen snares in the willow patch with the deer leg....hopefully , one gets nailed..the others run back to it , or panick and get caught up in the willow patch.Here's whats left of the deer.

Nest photo is a great travelling trail ( the whole pack uses it).that goes through a 'veil ' of cedar branches..PERFECT

Here is how great a snare can be in one of those cedar veils

This is a little farther up the same trail..also on a slope..nice...

Sometimes a tree is too big to choke with your snare wire...I use a few large fencing staples...initial struggle MIGHT pop out 1 staple..but the wolf will be VERY dead before he pulls out 2..I nailed 3 about 6 ft up the trunk.

Back at the road..20 yrds from last snare...20 yrds from deer kill...I hung the deer leg and a hide a few yards away from that...then placed snares all through the willow patch.

I hung the leg with another snare...low enough for them to get a hold of it...yet get a bit of a wrestle as well...all the while hopefully snaring up excited ' lesser' dogs in the pack.....want to clean up the pack..hopefully nOT get the alpha pair...why?..because if you do , the rest of the pack will breed uncontrolled...

Note leg top left...snare bottom right.