Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    Good luck. How do you go about getting a trapping license?
    You can contact the BC Trappers Assoc. @ 250 962-5452 in PG. Alana in the office will let you know where and when the next class is going to be or an instructor that you can get hold of. Wayne Sharpe at Trappers International 250 561-1602 is the local BCTA instructor in PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You can contact the BC Trappers Assoc. @ 250 962-5452 in PG. Alana in the office will let you know where and when the next class is going to be or an instructor that you can get hold of. Wayne Sharpe at Trappers International 250 561-1602 is the local BCTA instructor in PG.

Thanks......................

I have heard Wolves really like beaver(I know who doesn't), let it rot for a while and use it for bait.

Wolves are easy to trap and snare, just sometimes tough to locate I found snaring around bait station to be the most productive in the winter.
    Get them coming to a bait station then put out your snares. Winter trapping can work but is a lot more time consuming.
    Good luck, as trapping oportunities are becoming more available more of us should be taking advantage of those opportunities.

Proguide66 that is very good that you are going to trap some wolves ,good for you.

I am also going to do the same thing ,using 3.32 snare wire as for the camlock as for leg hold traps.

Yes I will be getting ahold of Wayne sharp I will get him to send me some 3.32 wire as for I will make up my own snares ,I also will get some leg hold traps from him as for skunk scent ,skunk scent works the best I have been told from other trappers.

I have been doing a lot of phone calls to Vic and Nanimo about the procedure I need in place to trap on crown land or private land.

The info I got is that you have to have written permission from the land owner to trap on there land.

For crown land you need to have permission from the minister invirment and lands to trap on crown land.
    You have to find out if there is a registered trap line within the area you are going to set your traps or other.

I still am in the procedure on getting everything in place ,I am still looking at maps to find out what is crown land and what is not ,there is so much land that is owned by timber west or other logging companies.

On the land I want to trap is owned by timber west and I have to get permission from them if I do get the ok ,then I have to get back to the ministry of water and lands and get the final ok from them to trap.

The best thing that you can do as becoming active in trapping is to go out with an experienced trapper that is doing wolf trapping and learn from them ,it will advance you trapping knowledge fast and learn what not to do and what to do.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-18-2009 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Proguide66 that is very good that you are going to trap some wolves ,good for you.

I am also going to do the same thing ,using 3.32 snare wire as for the camlock as for leg hold traps.

Yes I will be getting ahold of Wayne sharp I will get him to send me some 3.32 wire as for I will make up my own snares ,I also will get some leg hold traps from him as for skunk scent ,skunk scent works the best I have been told from other trappers.

I have been doing a lot of phone calls to Vic and Nanimo about the procedure I need in place to trap on crown land or private land.

The info I got is that you have to have written permission from the land owner to trap on there land.

For crown land you need to have permission from the minister invirment and lands to trap on crown land.
    You have to find out if there is a registered trap line within the area you are going to set your traps or other.

I still am in the procedure on getting everything in place ,I am still looking at maps to find out what is crown land and what is not ,there is so much land that is owned by timber west or other logging companies.

On the land I want to trap is owned by timber west and I have to get permission from them if I do get the ok ,then I have to get back to the ministry of water and lands and get the final ok from them to trap.

The best thing that you can do as becoming active in trapping is to go out with an experienced trapper that is doing wolf trapping and learn from them ,it will advance you trapping knowledge fast and learn what not to do and what to do.

Good stuff!!!!..........quick note before I head out , our areas biologist helped me get my govt permit for the uin active line put forward in days!!!...so if you know the local bio , email him!!

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Good stuff!!!!..........quick note before I head out , our areas biologist helped me get my govt permit for the uin active line put forward in days!!!...so if you know the local bio , email him!!
    Thank's P66 I will find out who the locale Biol is in my area..

Go get 'em proguide!
    Dislexic's everywhere! Untie!!

Member,
    Mission Rod and
    Gun Club.

I have a trappers license but no trap line how do you do you find a inactive trap line and get a permit to trap on it?

I'm no trapper but I once heard that if you can collect scat from one pack and bring it into different packs territory they will get "upset" and lose some of their caution.

good luck. I look forward to seeing some pics.