Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    Where do you get all your bait?
    Trappers are allowed to keep road kill, I think they just fill out a form or something. Also, farmers lose some animals in the winter, that would be a good source if you are around a farming area.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    I actually just used my splitting maul as an anvil , beat em with a hammer.....

Thanks P66 when I do get the go ahead I will use the 5 pounder to close up the couplings ,good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by killman View Post
    Where do you get all your bait?
    Also have a contact at our local highway dept....drops off rd kill deer..I also freeze my shoulder shot unedibles....I also save chunks of hide...very usefull....usually DONT have enough bait..I dont have time or bait to start a bait station in the fall and maintain it....

So..this should be about it for a while.....I made a few bobcat sets , will give them to the owner of the line to ship , as well offer some success pics while we wait for some REAL success

I snared some unbelievable AWESOME routes today....I can say with confidence we WILL have wolves....I would be an idiot to say ' when'..hopefully soon....can go days..maybe a month..maybe a week?...ect ect....it'll happen.

THANKS PG66, truly enjoying this thread. looking fwd to kill pics.
    april fool in waiting

Excellent thread, cant wait to see some snared wolves.Thanks for posting and updating us.
    I'm just here to provide moral support......Hey nice (insert animal here)congrats.

In memory of you dad..."you always leave a campsite cleaner then when you found it"

There's only one thing in life that constitutes insanity..... continuing to do the same thing you have been doing but expecting different results.

Proguide just a question to compare but is it just bobs that you find use the same trail (talking cats here) or are you saying cougars too?
    Myself, I've seen numerous in/out trails on a cougar kill...
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Many years back, early 1980's, I had just bought a trapline and went to a wolf trapping weekend workshop. The man who taught it was Dan Leigh, a trapper out of the Williams Lake area. He had a trademark pickup truck he'd refitted to accommodate logging truck tires. At the time he was reputed to be one of the most successful wolf trappers in the province, maybe in the country. I believe it. He had all kinds of tips and tricks. To begin with, he cautioned us never to leave our souls at the set. "Don't picture in your mind the wolf entering the snare or stepping in the trap" he said. He claimed that the wolf could picture what was in your mind as you walked down the trail. His strategy was to catch the Alpha male first, and then to pick up the rest of the pack at his leisure, something he was able to do quite consistently. Since I got out of the trapping business a decade ago, I don't know what ever happened to Dan. If he's still around and anyone knows how to contact him he would be an invaluable resource for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Proguide just a question to compare but is it just bobs that you find use the same trail (talking cats here) or are you saying cougars too?
    Myself, I've seen numerous in/out trails on a cougar kill...
    I have only seen the bobcats doing this. I have actually never had any couger tracks near my activities yet. I stay well away from where our deer herd is wintering...I'm sure most our big cats are hanging tight to the deer...the wintering hole is ear shot from my place....you can hear the wolves goin nutso in there as well non-stop...frustrating...if I went in there and went after them , I would knock off deer like crazy...went for a sled 'tour' in there the other day and saw lots of big cat sign.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Thanks P66 when I do get the go ahead I will use the 5 pounder to close up the couplings ,good advice.

Hey '47...and anyone else getting ready to try this.....one time couple years ago , I had a dead beef calf given to me...I drug it into a big hardwood patch...wired it to a tree , went about setting a large ring of snares.I also still had some deer legs and hide in the back yrd from a buck I had shot...I took the legs in to the bait pile and just left them on the ground ( legs with hoof on)..well...went back a week later...the two deer legs were both in two snares ,REAL tight , no wolves...DAMN...you could tell the wolves had 'tug o wars' with them as well.....so , obvious the wolves grabbed a deer leg in their mouths , went through a snare and 'T-boned' it with the legs....causing missed wolves.
    Anyway.....just a small note to think of if you have the same bait situation....try not to leave 'single' long bones like that near your snares!!

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Hey '47...and anyone else getting ready to try this.....one time couple years ago , I had a dead beef calf given to me...I drug it into a big hardwood patch...wired it to a tree , went about setting a large ring of snares.I also still had some deer legs and hide in the back yrd from a buck I had shot...I took the legs in to the bait pile and just left them on the ground ( legs with hoof on)..well...went back a week later...the two deer legs were both in two snares ,REAL tight , no wolves...DAMN...you could tell the wolves had 'tug o wars' with them as well.....so , obvious the wolves grabbed a deer leg in their mouths , went through a snare and 'T-boned' it with the legs....causing missed wolves.
    Anyway.....just a small note to think of if you have the same bait situation....try not to leave 'single' long bones like that near your snares!!
    Good point, never thought of that but I know it happens often with beavers and conibears