Page 1 of 77 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf Trapping Thread

Wolf Trapping Thread

I am hitting wolf trapping in the am...first time this yr. I am going to take pictures and document the whole process..from cheking 'track routes' to picking snare spots...placing snares , traps , bait...gear used and HOPEFULLY lots of success...as well , detailed pics of the aftermath.....hopefully it will tweek some interest and encourage guy's around the province to get into it and do some wolf trapping in there favorite hunting areas!!!.....its going to be a bit of a 'process' so dont expect kill pics right away...but will put up lots of interesting pics along the ' journey'....hopefully this turns out to be ....wish me luck.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wolf Trapping Thread

Do you have your own trapline?

In order to Trap in BC one has to have a Valid Trappers Licence which, you may already have. However, unless you have written permission, own a Regsitered Trapline or have a Permit it is unlawful set any traps on private property or on Crown Land. Page 92 Hunting & Trapping Regs. (Trapline Registration use and Relinquishment).Page 93 Trapper Education Program.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosenose View Post
    Do you have your own trapline?

Guess a good point for curious guys to note is you dont have to own a trap line to trap....wich I dont....but you need to pass the trapping course and have a valid license. I have a govt permit to trap on a dormant line as well permission to trap on 3 other locally owned trap lines....if a line has shown no activity for 2 yrs plus , you can ask the ministry for a permit to trap....$50....you can also trap legally on private land via land owner permission,and open season on the animals targeted , even if the private land is within a trap line owners area.

Thats sweet Proguide66

Give er all you got on them vermin !!!!!!

Cant wait for some pics.
    Besides if we didn't whine,how would people ignore us ???

Thumbs up Re: Wolf Trapping Thread

Sounds like you've done some Homework.....

I've heard/read wolves are dam tough to trap ?

I Look forward to you documenting the process & Best of Luck

Good luck. How do you go about getting a trapping license?

vancouver island for now .. soon on a peice of paridise in quesnel

one of the ways i have seen it done is a circle of snares and bait .. obvious as all get out ,, bait for a while first so they get used to it ....if wolves in the area you will know before you set the snares ... after you set the snares make a ruckus when coming close to the set and the wolves will bolt .. if you lucky you get a wolf or two

Watch out for all them "dogs" . ***** !!!
    I love MEC and the Gun Registry!

Quote Originally Posted by hitch View Post
    Watch out for all them "dogs" . ***** !!!
    hehe.....' dogs watch out for ME'..

Actually , I have found ( through utter trial and error)..the best method so far ( for me)..is to constantly follow the packs...find their trails , follow the trails...BUT...never walk on them...travel parallel as far away as possible...when they all narrow to a creek crossing , or maybe going around a rock bluff ect...pick your 'spot' on their trail...go straight in at it from 90 degrees to their trail...put on surgical gloves ( wich are in a zip lock bag with baking soda)..set snare....back out. ( I nailed most my wolves this way last yr).
    Using bait doesnt always work. Wolves are VERY wary of meat they havent killed....I have drug a 600lb cow up an old road with my sled , left it for over a month and half...birds / bobcats ect...wolves didnt want it...month later...season closed , pulled my gear...wolves cleaned it up in one sitting....I will , however , be using deer legs and hide's in some spots with leg holds...then as well set snares up to 200 yrds away from the baits on suspect 'trails' or routes. Most of my success will be due to my gained knowlege of where I laready KNOW the doggies will be travelling...as well , I will have bottles of male dog urine to squirt on trees ect with two legs holds eagerly waiting..hehe......but....I'm going to make the call that my travel route snares are going to 'clean up' the most...last yr leg holds nailed 1....baited snare area 2 ...travel routes 4.....they RUN through the snares on trails due to being relaxed , not ' expecting it'...but they come in wearily to baits....you will NEVER have your stuff scent free..just the 2 stroke exaust from your cloths will cling to everything...but...just gotta KEEP AT IT.......' somebodys' 'gittin it' this week......and its gonna all be pictures on here...MMMWWWAAAAHHHH