Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

Any south island guys who are thinking of catching some out of "the quarry" in shawnigan, don't do it. I was talking to a guy in there a few years ago who was doing a research project on them. He said that since it's a closed ecosystem (no outflow), they are FULL of nasty shit. It was also enough to convince me not to swim in there anymore. Everything that hits the surface of the water and sinks, eventually goes through those bottom feeders.
    Yuk.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

anybody know where I can get traps for these critters? I live right bedside the Harrison river and wouldn't mind giving this a go

Super easy to make yourself
    just ask google for some ideas
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

bass pro has them

Two summers ago, Bought some light gauge wire mesh, quickly made some homemade crayfish traps. Tossed them off the dock on Lake Cowichan not expecting much.. was almost full within a night. Got some crab from port renfrew, local corn and sausage from the valley and had myself a boil. Hope picture works. Traps are super easy to make, and fun little critters to catch and something different to have on the dinner plate.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D988A0D6-3308-4919-8FA2-FE52C6D46BE8.jpg  

I scored a new lap top for cheap, so I am getting back into video editing. Going through the 2017 backlog, I came across some 2017 crayfish trapping from shore and put together a little video... figured I'd toss it up here. I don't think it will get over 1000000 views like the last one, but I had fun putting it together. Will put some more fishing vids and 2017 spring bear vids up soon.

Does anyone know if there are crayfish in the Elaho?
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Is there information on crayfish fishing in the Freshwater regulations ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Any south island guys who are thinking of catching some out of "the quarry" in shawnigan, don't do it. I was talking to a guy in there a few years ago who was doing a research project on them. He said that since it's a closed ecosystem (no outflow), they are FULL of nasty shit. It was also enough to convince me not to swim in there anymore. Everything that hits the surface of the water and sinks, eventually goes through those bottom feeders.
    Yuk.
    Great info thanks I was planning on grabbing a couple out of there....

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Is there information on crayfish fishing in the Freshwater regulations ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Yes. Regions 1, 2 and 3.

25 crayfish per day, per person using any number of traps. Possession quota 2x. All fin fish caught in traps must be released.

Double check the regs of course just in-case.

Though not in the regulations, it is worth noting that cray-fishing is exempt from bait bans. This is not in the regs, but I have a letter from the ministry (that someone else on HBC passed along) stating such.