Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

its like shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    What consistency is the meat? Like crab or lobster? Or is it soft? Don't have my regs handy, is there a size restriction? Season?
    Good question, I had to look it up for myself!!

trap crayfish … with any number or size of
    traps for personal consumption. You must
    release all fin fish caught in your trap.
    To help sustain crayfish populations, you
    should release any crayfish that are less
    than 9 cm in total length as well as those
    bearing eggs or young.
    In Reg 2 waters the limit is posted at 25.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by kenkell1 View Post
    Does anyone think there would be crayfish in the east or west kootenays??
    I have eatin them in New Orleans and I love them.....they are tastey little insects....especially if boiled in Crab boil....Yummmy.
    Have caught them around Cranbrook, Jim Smith Lake, places like that. And I saw a couple off the breaker at the Sanca boat launch.

I have never trapped them myself but bought a trap at an outdoor show in Wash. I have seen them in Nimpkish Lake snorkeling and their are huge ones in that lake. I have cought them on my trout gear at various trout lakes around the Island. I have a subscription to Backwoodsman Magazine and I read an article in there that said they are the most common food source in North America in fresh water for survival situations.

I hear they are in Skaha Lake in Penticton does anyone know where abouts and if there are any other lakes in the South Okanagan or the Similkameen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by princetonbc View Post
    I hear they are in Skaha Lake in Penticton does anyone know where abouts and if there are any other lakes in the South Okanagan or the Similkameen?

Thanks
    I would imagine that they are in the entire valley bottom lake system. We've caught burbot out of OK that had crawdads in their bellies.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Thanks steve. I think I will have to get some traps and try it out.

i think i'm going to try my luck on some crayfish in the hatzic slough this week and maybe salmon lake next weekend, they look like tastey little buggers

put a piece of weiner on a string keep throwing it out to the same spot and slowly pulling it back pretty soon you will have one on the string and others(freebies) following the scent trail right up to the waters edge then you just grab em and toss em into a bucket.
    wash them off a couple of times changing the water then boil water in a pot with crawfish spice and chuck em in till they are done .
    peel em dip in garlic butter ,make seafood salad ,sandwiches ,there are hundreds of recipies on the net.
    i also made a few traps that work well but is not nearly as much fun as catching them on a string, put your bait into a container with holes or they will eat the bait and find their way out.
    i fish the months that end with R .
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sarg View Post
    i think i'm going to try my luck on some crayfish in the hatzic slough this week and maybe salmon lake next weekend, they look like tastey little buggers
    If you can catch enough of them they will make a meal. There are lot's of recipes online for them. Just about anything you can think of. I like the Southern style recipes the best for the couple of times I have cooked them up.