Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

I remember eating crayfish when we stayed at the Orleans hotel in Vegas. To me, once you got past the sauce they were cooked in, they tasted like mud.
    Bleck! Maybe since we are talking about where to catch them, people can share their recipes for cooking them? I might be more inclined to try them again if I had a recipe for cooking them
    Its not the size that matters, its the fun you have while doing it. (HUNTING)

you can get traps for 6$ and throw them into a creek with some chicken in them wait a few hours and you will catch lots but if you wait to long they will eat the bait and escape
    I'm a lead foot, whiskey drinkin' outlaw.

I had them when I was in Louuuuuzeana as well. Super spicy. They tell you, before you go to the bathroom make sure you wash your hands first, don't touch your eyes.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    They tell you, before you go to the bathroom make sure you wash your hands first, don't touch your eyes.
    Or when you roll in the poison ivy.

$6 trap eh?? Might have to giver a whirl.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Areas with mid-sized rock bottoms on the Fraser River, Harrison River, Pitt River and Pitt Lake produce excellent numbers of large crayfish.
    Try using commercial or sport-type prawn traps baited with salmon roe in bait containers with small holes.
    The salmon roe will milk for many hours in bait containers with small holes and gives off a scent the crayfish simply can't resist.
    Please let us know how you make out.
    Good fishin'
    "To fair-chase hunt, shoot straight, respect, speak the truth, and enjoy the wilds of B.C. in a way few ever experience." —Bushman

Believe it or not, there are or were commercial fisheries in the Fraser, Pitt, and Harrison for crayfish.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

And BC Fisheries issues yearly commercial harvests for Crayfish. Call the BC Fisheries office through MOE and they have info on stock levels in BC.

Good Luck,

I've caught them in Kennedy and Sproat lake. They're in the rivers too. One friend that used to work at the Bungee zone on the Nanaimo said he used to see huge ones in the river. Ive caught them in prawn traps, by hand, and simple fishing poles with the kids...line, willow stick, hook and worm.

I've just boiled them and eaten them dipped in garlic butter. I will sometimes take a small pair of scissors and cut along the back of the tail (lobster style) to aid in peeling.

I think the limit is 25?

when i was a kid i made a trap out of chicken wire funnel and a large pickled egg jar, used to drop it in the river near cameron lake when we drove out of town then pick it up on the way home.
    sometimes the trap was so full that they couldent cram anymore in and were coverint the outside of the trap.

What consistency is the meat? Like crab or lobster? Or is it soft? Don't have my regs handy, is there a size restriction? Season?
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....