Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

So I caught my first crayfish! I left it in the trap whilst I went and got some more bait. When I came back it had gone. I'm wondering if the crayfish can get out of my trap which would explain the lack of them. I'm using a collapsible mesh style trap. Has anyone had these problems? Are there better traps I should use?
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_G View Post
    Never heard of people using Hot dog. Will have to give that one a go.
    Search for "caddisguy crayfish" on YouTube if you get bored. We have quite a few videos with respectable hauls of crayfish using hotdogs.

As for crayfish getting out of the traps, it depends on the traps. We used collapsible mesh ones (the cylinder style) and the only time we have had crayfish "get out" is at busy spots where we have observed slobs checking out our traps. Otters are capable of crayfish theft as well though.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Search for "caddisguy crayfish" on YouTube if you get bored. We have quite a few videos with respectable hauls of crayfish using hotdogs.

As for crayfish getting out of the traps, it depends on the traps. We used collapsible mesh ones (the cylinder style) and the only time we have had crayfish "get out" is at busy spots where we have observed slobs checking out our traps. Otters are capable of crayfish theft as well though.
    Great Videos!!! Did you film them with a GoPro?
    I think I have found out the cause of my low numbers. I am pretty sure someone has been helping themselves to my trap. Time to move it else where.
    Do people have more luck in deep slow water or shallow fast flowing waters??
    Ali

"It is a blessing of the wilderness life that it shows us how few things we need in order to be perfectly happy." - Horace Kephart

"Don't ever be afraid to try something!! Remember a lone amateur built the ark and a large group of professionals built the titanic..."

This thread has been around since 2009 and has over 51,000 views..... that's crazy......... and it still pops up...
    Tha frick is it with Crawdids

Crayfish are awesome table fare.
    I used to catch them in small creeks by hand too.
    I don't think they are underutilized.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Anybody have much luck on the north end of the island?

Quote Originally Posted by Ali_G View Post
    Great Videos!!! Did you film them with a GoPro?
    I think I have found out the cause of my low numbers. I am pretty sure someone has been helping themselves to my trap. Time to move it else where.
    Do people have more luck in deep slow water or shallow fast flowing waters??
    Thanks! Filmed mostly with GoPro clones (SJ4000)

In lakes, we catch most within 20 yards from shore in 4 to 10 feet of water. For sloughs / streams, slower / deeper pockets are the ticket.

They are also more active at night and Sep-Nov are the most productive months.

Crayfishing has kind of blown up in the last 5 years or so. Probably partly my fault. One of those videos got over 1.5 millions views and then some Vancouver rags and outdoor rags piggy backed off it publishing articles that named lakes.

There's one place in part particular that I had never seen anyone else trapping and last time I went we counted about 50 traps and didn't catch very many lol

If you find lakes with good crayfish populations it's best to keep quiet and be discreet when trapping. I still point people to Harrison because it's huge and no amount of pressure will have an impact. It does take some experimenting to find good pockets though.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Thanks! Filmed mostly with GoPro clones (SJ4000)

In lakes, we catch most within 20 yards from shore in 4 to 10 feet of water. For sloughs / streams, slower / deeper pockets are the ticket.

They are also more active at night and Sep-Nov are the most productive months.

Crayfishing has kind of blown up in the last 5 years or so. Probably partly my fault. One of those videos got over 1.5 millions views and then some Vancouver rags and outdoor rags piggy backed off it publishing articles that named lakes.

There's one place in part particular that I had never seen anyone else trapping and last time I went we counted about 50 traps and didn't catch very many lol

If you find lakes with good crayfish populations it's best to keep quiet and be discreet when trapping. I still point people to Harrison because it's huge and no amount of pressure will have an impact. It does take some experimenting to find good pockets though.

That's crazy that it exploded that much. I seem to remember seeing that video a while back doing the round on social media.
    Thank you for all the help and advice. Just got to keep searching for those golden spots I guess.
    Ali

Hey all. Heading to Shuswap lake tomorrow, curious if anyone has dropped a crayfish trap in there at all? I always think things are worth a try... but if anyone knows already..... I’ve caught and enjoyed plenty of crayfish meat the lower mainland, but am heading there for a few days and just found a couple traps I forgot I purchased, so thought I’d inquire and maybe giver a rip...

let me know!
    Thanks!
    MrCNaDiAn