Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Re: Crayfish

Thanks for the information Caddisguy !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bloody bellies View Post
    anybody know where I can get traps for these critters? I live right bedside the Harrison river and wouldn't mind giving this a go
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fo...9446p.html#srp

This is the one I have, it works pretty well and it's not expensive. I haven't been out for them in a couple years now but its a lot of fun pulling the trap to see what you have, and they are tasty little critters

Bass pro has traps for them for $11 each. Otherwise you can take minnow traps and enlarge the hole.

I modify my traps by making one way doors using zip ties. This mod easily doubles productivity with these traps.

I found cat food was not very effective. The best bait I've found was some salmon that sat in the freezer too long. Put a slab of that in a bait cage so they can't eat it too fast then leave your traps out overnight. They are far more active at night.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

If you find any carrying eggs Please throw them back. Its also a good practice to cut a V shaped notch in egg bearing female's tail before you throw her back in to let others know that she's a productive female. This is also what lobster fisherman do.

Raw chicken drumsticks for bait, can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Raw chicken drumsticks for bait, can't be beat.
    Salmon beats it by far actually.

I kept a few that I caught in a 100 gallon fish tank and experimented with baits and traps. They only went for raw chicken when they were really hungry. Same with beef. But if you put salmon in there it was a feeding frenzy. When any of the fish from my other tanks died they went into the crayfish tank and were quickly consumed. They were also quick to cannibalize any crayfish that died.

Quote Originally Posted by buck nash View Post
    Salmon beats it by far actually.

I kept a few that I caught in a 100 gallon fish tank and experimented with baits and traps. They only went for raw chicken when they were really hungry. Same with beef. But if you put salmon in there it was a feeding frenzy. When any of the fish from my other tanks died they went into the crayfish tank and were quickly consumed. They were also quick to cannibalize any crayfish that died.
    Maybe different spots produce different results.
    I've fished old salmon and chicken and my chicken traps always out produced the fish.
    Same with Dungeness crabs.

Texas walker. Its possible. Could also be due to other variables. Season, temp, species, pre or post molt....

I used to have a 70gal with crayfish. Lots of places to hide and what not, but whenever one molted it would get pursued relentlessly until it was killed and eaten.

I'd feed them hotdog, earth worms and all sorts of things. The most excited I ever saw them was when I dropped a trout head in. A crayfish caught it before it even hit the bottom, then held it up parading it around the tank.