Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Crayfish

Hybrid View

Crayfish

Crayfish-----Seems to be an under-utilized species??

Personally, I have never fished for them other than catching as few on the Kettle with our hands and letting them go.

A co-worker was asking me about them as he used to catch them as a kid back in Poland many years ago. He was just looking on the internet and now they are considered an endangered species back in his homeland.

So who fishes for them and what are some of the techniques?? One guy told me that all they used was a wiener on a stick.....but have never tried this myself.
    Seems like they would be a fun target for kids.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crayfish

a neighbour told me he put down a prawn trap in the lake and got a ton of them-boiled them up like lobsters.I tried it once-must have caught some because an otter ripped the trap apart

Wow.... is your line of thinking ever out of sorts ......

How the hell does sheep morph into crayfish?

Last edited by BCrams; 01-15-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Wow.... is your line of thinking ever out of sorts ......

How the hell does sheep morph into crayfish?

My co-worker doesn't hunt sheep....or hunt period.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I have caught crayfish many times and they are good eating the 2 ways I find work best are

1) flipping rocks and grabbing them with your hands works really well in water wast deep or less and I find gets the best numbers(If you are worried about getting pinched this method is not for you)

2)A trap baited with a piece of fish works well in deep water and seems to get larger crayfish but less numbers. If you want info on making traps let me know.

just remember ... crayfish season is months that end in R... other than that they are typically soft shelled or have very little meat...
    moose are for people too lazy to hunt elk

Crayfish can also turn you off because they have little worms that come off when you boil them. We catch them with modified minnow traps and prawn traps. Bait the traps with bacon, ham, fish, or whatever. Cat food works really good too. In the small traps add a film canister with holes drilled in it, and fill it with wet cat food. They can be found in most ponds, lakes, sloughs, creeks, and rivers. I have never ate them, I only caught them in research studies I was doing at the time. I released all of them. You have to watch which ones you get or where you get them because I heard they can taste very muddy.

Dirty
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

good cheap crayfish traps at crappy tire. those minnow traps the vinyl covered metal mesh ones. just take your sidecutters and bore the hole out to 3or4 times original size. best spots on a lake are weed beds as the crayfish can make there way to the trap undetected.24hrs a day. have 30 ft of line on mine, trout heads very good bait.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

We used to catch them as kids for fish bait.

What we'd do was use pop cans- We'd put some bait inside the can and fill it with water. Then we'd tie a piece of fishing line to the tab and attach a float to the end of the line and chuck it into the pond.

9 times out of 10 when we'd come back and check it, there'd be one inside that couldnt get out

Cost us nothing to do either, and was a ton of fun.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

done tons of crayfish fishing, lots and lots of places on the coast for them, as for getting them in the months that end with R that isnt true. we used to get them all summer long, very rarely got the softshell ones.
    they are awesome to eat, need quite a few to make a meal though, we used to BBQ a steak and then put the peeled crayfish tails on top with bernaise sauce.
    we used to snorkel for them in a few lakes, but all the smaller streams have them. also used traps in the Pit river and found a few real good spots on the Fraser for them to, those are where the real big ones live.