Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

Re: What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

I'd have to say my stanfields are it. My top to bottom 'cowichan cashmere' has been used since i was 14 and 20 some odd years and a lot of pounds later they still do the trick. next would have to be my compass. no idea who made it but I got it as a boy in cubscouts and it still keeps me comin back to where I started every time
    april fool in waiting

Had a pair of Sorrel Boots for 15 year and now have 10 years on my second set. Also my 308 for 25 years and just gave away my Indian sweater I had for 20 years. Have only 12 years on my other. My Russel knife I've had for 20 years and my father in law had it for who knows how long. Interesting Ali, I've had my wife for 30 years and she still is a big support of me going hunting. Hmmm sometimes I wonder if it's to get me out of the house.
    Thatskindafunny
    patience, preperation and perseverance

The 'Hummer' Guest

Good thread, and there are a few items worth mention;
    • West Coast 'Cashnere' - Gray Stanfields from my days at Gold River. A side note, when I lived in the interior we could always tell the hunters up from the coast as 'that' was their uniform.
    • Pierre Paris caulk boots - For timber hunting, if you can find any these days, and another remnant of my logging days.
    • Fisherman pants - Heavy wool pants, Pioneer brand, and suspenders!
    • 'Red Straps' - Big comfortable blue jeans, again, from the logging days.
    • Sleeping bag - Jones Tent & Awning made Iderdown sleeping bag. A gift from my father in law and I believe he purchased it in the late 30's or early 40's. Not a back pack model but one you'll never be cold in.
    These are items I kept when I left the logging sector of the forest industry, 1966.

What exactly are these stanfields that keep coming up? Over or undergarments. Have to say I have heard a lot about them. But I have no idea what they are. I am imagining wool.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    What exactly are these stanfields that keep coming up? Over or undergarments. Have to say I have heard a lot about them. But I have no idea what they are. I am imagining wool.
    Basically, a heavy wool two piece underwear. The most commonly seen aspect is the top, and usually worn over or on top of the shirt.

I am a gear-o-holic, so even if gear lasts a lifetime I am likely to replace it in short order with the next upgrade on the market. Its a problem.

That said, I often pack a Heinz Leber custom fixed-blade knife that I got for my 15th birthday, many many moons ago (24yrs). And I still use a game saw that I got for my 17th birthday (22yrs ago).

This isn't hunting gear per se, but I still use a lot of '70's vintage RCBS reloading equipment that I got from my Dad.

And my only rimfire rifle is a .22 that I got for my birthday 31 years ago...it still sees a lot of use.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

Yep stannys are up there.
    My favorite piece of gear is definitely my crooked horn bino harness, man that thing is a beauty, takes all the weight off your neck and makes a guy glass that much more having/keeping them there all the time.
    $25 U.S and still going strong after about 6 years (only started hunting about 7-8 years ago so I cant go back that far yet!)

Also, windicator, a must when bow hunting.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

You ain't a man unless you own some Stan's....

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    You ain't a man unless you own some Stan's....
    I am not a man but I own some Stan's (and I look dang cute in them)

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The 'Hummer' View Post
    Good thread, and there are a few items worth mention;
    • West Coast 'Cashnere' - Gray Stanfields from my days at Gold River. A side note, when I lived in the interior we could always tell the hunters up from the coast as 'that' was their uniform.
    • Pierre Paris caulk boots - For timber hunting, if you can find any these days, and another remnant of my logging days.
    • Fisherman pants - Heavy wool pants, Pioneer brand, and suspenders!
    • 'Red Straps' - Big comfortable blue jeans, again, from the logging days.
    • Sleeping bag - Jones Tent & Awning made Iderdown sleeping bag. A gift from my father in law and I believe he purchased it in the late 30's or early 40's. Not a back pack model but one you'll never be cold in.
    These are items I kept when I left the logging sector of the forest industry, 1966.
    A couple more quickies I neglected to mention, A Puma Buddy belt knife primarily used for gutting and a Puma White Hunter that I had made into a skinning knife by cutting the blade down to a 3 1/2" and rershaping.