Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

Re: What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

My 2 pairs of East German wool army surplus. I haven't had them for very long but they've got to be close to 30 years old or more by now. By far the best piece of clothing I have. They've held up incredibly even after walking through briars, salal, falling down in between logs etc. They keep me warm in sub zero temps and dry when it's pissing down rain. I haven't had to wash them either, they don't stink even after wearing them for 2 weeks, don't smell like camp fire, mud and blood don't stick to them for long either.

How are guys getting such long life out of a Stanfield?! Mine are pretty thin after a year, and pretty much rags by 3 years.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    How are guys getting such long life out of a Stanfield?! Mine are pretty thin after a year, and pretty much rags by 3 years.
    Older style wear much better
    Hang to dry
    Wash sparingly
    Stay out of burr bushes HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Older style wear much better
    Hang to dry
    Wash sparingly
    Stay out of burr bushes HA
    This is the number one reason!! I rarely wash mine. I usually leave them outside on the deck railing to air wash and dry (wife is not happy.....). It is wool and wool does not like to be washed, especially in a washing machine!!

The older ones do wear better, I have some that are 20 years old and have holes on the shoulder from carrying a saw, yet still fit and wear well.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

X3 on the shoulder holes from bar/chain n dogs. Sure not made the same these days
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Thought about this question a few times, thought about starting a thread but no need after this one was revived. My Irish setter elk tracker boots have been awesome, they have served me well for over 10 years of late season hunting. The browning knife I bought for my lovely wife, I shelved it since she last hunted in 08-09! I used it this year on two bull elk and a moose , without sharpening.? Great steel.
    Last edited by Husky7mm; 12-29-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Best..Swarovski. binoculars 8.5 x 42 EL..Swarovski spotting scope angled HD 20 x..,60
    Oldest is a Far West coat from 1976..still dry warm presentable, usable..picked it up on the blemish rack in Vernon..couldn't find the blemish.
    2 mountain hardwear tents..lightweight and winter 4 season expedition. .never a drop of rain, never even one stitch has moved or stretched, poles are original..not even a dirt mark on anything..pristine.survived hell acoustic storms..up top on sheep hunts..
    Winter tent 18 inches of wet snow crashing trees down under the weight. .dry..total. .warm plus , roomy..had to saw to the highway. .but had a great sleep before it..

Quality always pays.
    Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 12-30-2016 at 04:24 AM.

I got reading this great thread and thought I'd give it a bump. Lots of good info in here.
    R.I.P BiG Boar

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Still have a compass my Dad gave me when I was a kid...I carry it everytime I venture into the dark scary woods.

It still points North so I guess it works after decades of use !
    I used to carry a compass, replaced it with GPS, now I don't even bother. Didn't seem to use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Love my "early" Nimrod gun scabbard. I have several gun cases and scabbards but the Nimrod seems to be the one I grab every time.