Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

Some people on here have been hunting all thier lives. I for one havn't. However my question for the forum today is what is your best, oldest, and most reliable piece of go to gear. No rifles or bows please. However it could be boots, binos, spotting scope, pack, scope, or jacket. What piece of gear have you used since the begining of your hunting years (10 or more), and its never failed you.
    People say, buy these swaro binos and you will have them for LIFE! Or, I bought THESE boots in 79', had them resoled twice and they are still going strong! Or if you buy this butt out tool, you will never buy another! Or man these wool pants I got from my pa, and they are still the only pants I will ever wear!
    I have had none of my gear for more than a few years, so I want to know from experienced hunters, what actually lasts.
    What is it, and how old is it?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What is your best, and oldest, and most reliable, piece of go to gear?

i gotta say the tried,tested and true wooley stanfeild tops and bottoms had mine for over 10 years.i may have to get the shirt in a couple of years to replace but the best 80 bucks spent.that shirt has had more blood on it than any hospital room floor,well maybe not but close.you can't go wrong with a stany.

Swarovski 8x30 Bino's. Handed down to me from my dads guiding days, somewhere around 14 or 15 years old. Just totally rebuilt under swaro warranty last year as the glasses started to fog up on rainy days.

Handmade skinning knife made by Joseph Breti (Coal Creek Custom Knives) I haven't quite had it for 10 years but it's definitely going to still be in use 10 years from now.

Northface Paramount Pants... - For $79.99 a pair I am getting almost 5 years out of each pair and I've put them through some pretty hardcore abuse. Best hiking/hunting pants I've ever worn for warm to mildly cold weather...

Bushnell Spacemaster II spotting scope, I started using my dads spacemaster many years ago, then bought my own about 5 years ago... Since then I've upgraded to a Zeiss 85mm but the spacemaster still comes along on big trips as an extra.

Carl

My legs and back.

I have had the same saddle bags and rifle scabbard for 41 years still in good shape

I have a nylon dome tent that I bought back in 1990. It comes out for extended trips in case a spike camp is in order. The stupid little tent has seen some FUGLY weather and has yet let me down.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

it was my old rifle, until it was stolen nov. 07'......basterds.... old rem. 760 30/06 had it for years. never let me down. shot lots of moose and deer. i'm not very easy on equipment and that thing took a beating.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

My Win M70 featherweight in 270. Bought it in 84 and still shoots as straight as the day I worked up the proper load, has never let me down. Also the original B&L Elite 3000, which has been on the 270 since 94 and has not moved zero yet...knock on wood.

And the good old stanies (Stanfields, West coast tuxedo), best outdoor shirt on the market.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I said, no rifles....but......I will make an exception, if you have been hunting with the same rifle for the last 25 years and still hunt with it as your primary. This post is about gear. People always say to me, buy this and you will never buy another! Technology changes, things get better, or dont they?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    Some people on here have been hunting all thier lives. I for one havn't. However my question for the forum today is what is your best, oldest, and most reliable piece of go to gear. No rifles or bows please. However it could be boots, binos, spotting scope, pack, scope, or jacket. What piece of gear have you used since the begining of your hunting years (10 or more), and its never failed you. what actually lasts.
    What is it, and how old is it?
    I would have to say Peter, oh wait you said "never failed" hehehe oops sorry honey "just kidding"

my hunting boots - I paid 45.00 for them at the Otter co-op and the guys all laughed at my "baby boots" but they have never given me a blister, they have always kept my feet dry, always warm, and perfect support.

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper