Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Outside" dog training literature

Northern BC, wherever gas in the truck will move me

"Outside" dog training literature

Hi all,

I'm looking for some literature on "outside" dog training of the more stubborn and dominant working breeds such as Siberian Huskies...with interests in bear dog, hunting companion, pack carrying...in short, I'm looking at hundreds upon hundreds of hours of bush surveying work over the upcoming years, and would like to train up a partner in crime properly. Has anyone come across anything of the likes?

Many thanks,
    Last edited by Dukeoflawnchair; 01-15-2009 at 02:23 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "Outside" dog training literature

I cant think of any literature that pertains specifically to a companion dog for that field.
    In general, huskys are a more stubborn breed
    The males I've known tend to wander and in most cases were dominant over their owner (it seemed)
    Its all going to come down to thorough, strict obediance EARLY ON and the alpha male factor, which hopefully ends up being you.
    You're not going to know the fight or flight reaction to a bear until an encounter happens, its not bred into them like hounds and even then every individual is different.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Siberians and Malamutes live with you...not for you. It would be rare for them to be a good bush dog as they are nomads leaving you for anyone with a hot dog or truck ride...or a deer to chase, a stream to swim...lol....well anything more interesting. I've lived with between 5-10 of them at any given time for the past 10 years..... they suck off leash (even with advanced level obedience err...TWICE)

A karelian bear dog might be good tho!
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeoflawnchair View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some literature on "outside" dog training of the more stubborn and dominant working breeds such as Siberian Huskies...with interests in bear dog, hunting companion, pack carrying...in short, I'm looking at hundreds upon hundreds of hours of bush surveying work over the upcoming years, and would like to train up a partner in crime properly. Has anyone come across anything of the likes?

Many thanks,
    A friend and I went dog sledding last winter at an outfitters in Bridge Lake. The kennel had 90+ huskys. All sled dogs and teamed up. It was way cool and we stayed for a couple of days

She said "You NEVER have a husky off leash." They don't stay with you nor do they come back.

Perhaps another breed???

Cheers,
    Kasomor

Blue/Red heelers can't carry as much in saddlebags as a husky but will out live, out work and out fight almost any breed of dog I have run into.
    My male Bushmill can easily carry about 20lb in his packs without problem wich is by my standards pretty good since he only ways 35lb. My female will almost do 20lb and she ways 40lb.
    They also do alright duty as retreivers for upland birds I have discovered. They will not point though but will flush birds.
    Bushmill has gone one on one with two black bears, a pack of coyotes and several large dogs including last year a at least 100lb rotty had that poor dog upside down by the throat and was trying to shake him when I intervened. He was pretty pissed at me though for taking his kill away. It is actualy funny now but sucked at the time. With the calgarian woman owner of the rotty sceaming at me to call off my dog it was a little annoyining since her dog was off leash and in my yard but I figured I had to be nice and waded into a dog fight.
    They also fit onto planes and helicopters for remote bush work. In this pic they are headed in to hunt Caribou in a cesna 180
    The big problem with heelers is they are realy smart and a little bit of an attitude males in paticular if you don't snip them can be handfull. Somtimes you have to smack them down and remind them who is the alpha.

[quote=Beverly;398269]Siberians and Malamutes live with you...not for you. It would be rare for them to be a good bush dog as they are nomads leaving you for anyone with a hot dog or truck ride...or a deer to chase, a stream to swim...lol....well anything more interesting. I've lived with between 5-10 of them at any given time for the past 10 years..... they suck off leash (even with advanced level obedience err...TWICE)

A karelian bear dog might be good tho![/quote]

not a good dog for his purpose either .

perhaps look at a working dog from close working stock such as a cattle dog (can be stubborn) or collie

Try a mutt that is a mix of the bread qualities you want. I have two dogs (sisters) that are Lab/ husky/ Akita. i know a weird mix. My dogs live inside/ outside and get lots of love but also lots of discipline and I'm also the dominant dog in the pack. I use regular training on and off leash with some extra bird dog type training for the field. They are 50lbs each so they can carry their own food and water, etc, to train them for the pack I put the harness on when walking them and then work up to the pack and some weight. Do it even after a brake in pack use so the dog has a chance to become re-acclimatized to the load. I think the key is to know the dogs parents. The mother of my dogs is a great bush dog, but likes to wander when at home- same like mine, the father (Akita) is very protective at home and doesn't wander when walking. The mix worked out well for me and my dogs stay close- usually, and come when called- if not twice. They are dogs, they get distracted. Lots of training, stay dominant and try to find out disposition of the dogs parents. My 2 bits. I also use high-viz vests on my dogs when out and about- just in case.
    Last edited by hannibal; 01-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    BCWF, CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, 4WDABC, NAHC

There are some books out there on "Hiking with dogs" I had a couple way back when, I think a online search would do you some extra good.
    BCWF, CSSA, NFA, RFOCBC, 4WDABC, NAHC

Mine is a Wolf malamute, and what others have said about dominance applies more so that in any other group of breeds, IMHO.

If you don't already have a snow dog, take others advice, and get a hound or a mutt.

He's a good boy, and handsome as hell, but it took more training and stress than the 80 Cairn terriers and 12 German Shepherds my Mom used to raise.

I have 2 Samoyeds. Have had others.

Beverly knows her stuff.

Never listen 2 people who've never had northern dogs they're toyally different than other breeds.

They're gonna live with you "in the house" or you will pay !

They're not hunting dogs but excellent companions out in the bush and not loyal at all, lousy guard dogs.

Great breeds but you have to be totally into them and your friends won't understand why.

PM me if you have any questions.