Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: robo-ducks

robo-ducks

i'm looking to aquire a robo-duck or similar "spinner". any advice out there for particular brands and prices? i've got a birthday coming up!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: robo-ducks

I don't have it infront of me but the more expensive one from Cabelas is worth the extra money. Look on the website.
    They are gooood.
    matt

I have a baby mojo mallard drake. Little bit smaller and wings are lighter so battery lasts a long time. Lighter to carry out into field. Cheap too...around 90 bucks!!

Take a look at realduck.com for a different style of robo. It runs on two AA batteries and I get about three or four days out of a set. The wing comes off and goes into a storage tube and both it and the decoy can be put into your decoy bag or whatever. The best part is that it is a decoy and you put it in the spread where you want to place it; no poles that don't quite work in deep water.
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?

My next two will be the mojo teal, much faster wing spin, just a little different...
    Scottish by birth, British by law,
    Highlander by the grace of God"
    Anon

I have a Flambeau, they were on sale for $75.00 recently. They work good if you keep the "chucks" for the wings well lubricated.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

I would not recommend the ducks that come with remotes. Moisture destroys them in one trip.

Now I am going to try hard wiring 20 yards of wire from a relay in the spinner to a switch in the blind. The ducks are getting smart on spinners and variance over the on/off may help.

If budget is an issue, make a jerk line. Nearly as effective for a fraction of the cost.
    Hooked on quack.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNHookSports View Post
    Now I am going to try hard wiring 20 yards of wire from a relay in the spinner to a switch in the blind. The ducks are getting smart on spinners and variance over the on/off may help.
    I did that last year. Ran about 40 feet of 18gauge wire, then a switch on the other end. Worked great but it was a pain for both dogs and human walking around tripping on the wire. Also I found that just leaving it on, not turning it off and on worked better. But who knows really, some robos have the setting now to stay on a few secs then turn off for a few seconds and they seem to be working just as good.

Just my 2 cents.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?

I have a lucky duck that came with the intermittint timer. I took it out. I found that it was spooking some ducks when it turned on or off as they were finishing. I think the remote is the way to go. You can turn in off and on to get their attention and leave it on as they get closer. Also one day while out in the field the ducks wouldn't finish for me I couldn't get why at first. I took a look at the spread from different angels and found that there was a flash on the water as bright as the wings. Moved them up on ground and they seemed to work better. I can't for certain that was it but made me a little more aware anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNHookSports View Post
    I would not recommend the ducks that come with remotes. Moisture destroys them in one trip.

If budget is an issue, make a jerk line. Nearly as effective for a fraction of the cost.
    I've been using my Lucky Duck with remote for 4 years,no problems at all.It makes it handy to shut off if geese come in,as I've found that they don't like the spin wing.Using them in a saltwater enviornment may be a totally different story. Gunner