Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade archery target

Re: Homemade archery target

I have used - and still use - the E-8, Elk target from Ames. I've been using it, on and off, for well over 5 years now. It's still going strong. The looser weave of the burlap makes for a long lived target face.
    Good to know! I think I am going to get the Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Sheep and Bear. I've got a few acres of forest here so I'll setup a little fun park

Carl

I have a coffee company; If anyone wants burlap sacs let me know, we have lots.

I live in Duncan.
    You won't get anywhere standing still. Don't be afraid to take steps.

Well being the economical cheapskate that I am ....I made what I think are some excellent homemade targets...

1) All I did was take two 40lbs dry dog food bags and place one inside the other...
    2) I had collected some election signs to turn into goose decoys and I cut a few of those up to place in front to have a nice hard entrance..
    3) Next...we went through all of our old old clothes that had been sitting around....and we stuffed socks ...and shirts and old blankets ...and really packed it in tight...
    4) I then duct taped the bag closed and duct taped the front and drew 4 dots
    5) the arrows stop dead in the target and being that they're made of clothes ...the arrows pull right out with no problem at all

Note: 1) I made one in the same fashion with grocery bags ...and its good but the bags can get wrapped around the arrow making them difficult to pull out
    2) I made a different one out of a large Meat smoker box that I got for my birthday...I packed the smoker box full of recycling boxes ...and layered them very tightly ...the arrow stops dead...but it is much harder to pull out ....

I have now made 5 targets ...I will never buy another one purely for target practice ....the only problem that I may have is broadheads ...but I still have the layered foam one for that ....just can't shoot it dead centre or the arrows fly right through it ....

So there ya go ...

Thanks for the help.

Clu
    Last edited by clu__82; 03-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.

I use to make my targets out of Donocono (spelling?)board you get from your lumber store,its compress cardboard comes in 4x8 sheet 1/2 inch thick,i would cut into 6 inch stripes and 36 inches long,you then take two pieces of 2x4 40inches long and some ready rod 36 inches long, the idea is to stack the cut donocono board and stack up to the size you want,using the 2x4 with holes drilled at the ends and using the ready rod to compress your target together. then just make a tripod to mount your target on.just don't compress your target to tight or you will have a hard time pulling your arrows out,then i would spray paint a bulls eye on it,doesn't cost much and will last a long time,hope this helps

That flooring mat is what Ive been using, I never bolted it together , I just used some of that red technical tape. I think I got eight layers, it works well, but occasionally I get a pass through with my single bevel broadheads, but my field points never penetrate more than an inch or two. Ive been at it for over a year with an estimated 5000+ arrows. I dont think There has ever been any chuncks out of it yet. Often what Ill do is use the pad behind a photo real paper animal target.

i'm surprised that no one has said the tire targets yet. maybe people found they didn't like them, i don't know.
    when i was a kid i used to do archery at the Nanaimo fish and game club. they took old tires and cut long strips and stacked them. i believe they built a 1x4 frame around them.
    the arrows from a fifty pound draw didn't go through it. when we retrieved our arrows we used a small piece of tire to hold around the arrow and pull. there was no damage to any arrows and they seemed to last forever.

might be worth giving it a try.

I went into the farm feed and supply store in kelowna, they had a roll of burlap they sold by the yard. It was like a $1.50 a square yard and you can sew up a 3'x3' bag for under $5. I just stuffed it full of plastic wrap and shopping bags. cheap cheap.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island grown View Post
    i'm surprised that no one has said the tire targets yet. maybe people found they didn't like them, i don't know.
    when i was a kid i used to do archery at the Nanaimo fish and game club. they took old tires and cut long strips and stacked them. i believe they built a 1x4 frame around them.
    the arrows from a fifty pound draw didn't go through it. when we retrieved our arrows we used a small piece of tire to hold around the arrow and pull. there was no damage to any arrows and they seemed to last forever.

might be worth giving it a try.
    Nowadays they do the same thing with old ceiling tiles - the fibrous kind...works like a hot damn.

Quote Originally Posted by clu__82 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone makes their own homemade archery target? I bought a foam target (a cheaper one) and have maybe shot 100 arrows through and my arrows fly right through it now if I hit it in the middle...the foam is getting loose and chunks have flown out of it. To be honest I really don't want to go and spend $100 on another target...sooo I was wondering ....does anyone make their own? if so how? even if it is something that I can put behind my target so I dont lose a bunch of arrows...thanks

Clu
    What i use and think is just awesome is styrofoam. Not the white styrofoam that comes in packaging boxes but the hard blue stuff that builders use in insulation. Tape 4 sheets together at the desired size and i guarantee your arrow wont go through it. I shoot a 175 pound crossbow at 20 yards and it doesn't go through. It also doesn't blow apart on you leaving big chunks laying all over the place.

Gary
    Last edited by Bow Walker; 10-05-2011 at 09:26 AM.