Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade archery target

Homemade archery target

Just wondering if anyone makes their own homemade archery target? I bought a foam target (a cheaper one) and have maybe shot 100 arrows through and my arrows fly right through it now if I hit it in the middle...the foam is getting loose and chunks have flown out of it. To be honest I really don't want to go and spend $100 on another target...sooo I was wondering ....does anyone make their own? if so how? even if it is something that I can put behind my target so I dont lose a bunch of arrows...thanks

Clu

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Homemade archery target

Quote Originally Posted by clu__82 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone makes their own homemade archery target? I bought a foam target (a cheaper one) and have maybe shot 100 arrows through and my arrows fly right through it now if I hit it in the middle...the foam is getting loose and chunks have flown out of it. To be honest I really don't want to go and spend $100 on another target...sooo I was wondering ....does anyone make their own? if so how? even if it is something that I can put behind my target so I dont lose a bunch of arrows...thanks

Clu
    The club I'm a member of makes burlap targets and fills they with old mesh from screen doors or tons of plastic shopping bags..
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

The 'Hummer' Guest

I picked up a large woven bag, similar fabric to what is commercially available in target bags and stuffed it with as much plastic wrap material I could get into it. Actually, I made four. Two for myself and one for each of our kids. I'm still using the first one and have been for about five years so I should be good for many years to come. This is for field points. For a little broadhead practice, I have a unit made by "The Block".

i make my own and have for years,,simple really
    just stuff some shrink wrap into a large burlap bag, stuff as much as possible then stuff in a little more. never had a problem with pass throughs on these ones.
    i have a friend who uses old clothes and stuffs them in a box about 2x2x2 then duck tapes the box. works great looks kinda neat to. after it gets all shot up just get a new box.
    when i use shrink wrap i stuff it into sandbags. i have several different areas where i leave them up.
    as for putting up something behind your target, (i dont cause i dont ever miss! ) you can hang an old thick blanket loosely so the arrow will push into it but not pass through it. but haybales work to as long as you dont expose them to the weather.

You can always use hay bails. Share Care, Buckerfields, or others have them readily available. Work great. Use a blunt field point and they don't go in as far. They are natural looking and you can paint what ever target or spot's you want on them. Cheap and eviro friendly too.

The 'Hummer' Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybear View Post
    You can always use hay bails. Share Care, Buckerfields, or others have them readily available. Work great. Use a blunt field point and they don't go in as far. They are natural looking and you can paint what ever target or spot's you want on them. Cheap and eviro friendly too.
    True enough. With the ones I've made up as mentioned previously, they're durable, virtually uneffected by weather and very mobile. I have mine hanging in my basement and weather permitting, I open my basement/car port door and shoot into the basement from a 20yrd/18m mark on my driveway. No mess no fuss. The ones I made up for the 'kids' have been hanging outside since I gave them.

Quote Originally Posted by clu__82 View Post

Clu
    I can only assume you are talking Deltas from Canadian tire .... and after 100 shots and foam falling out I can only assume you are shooting Broadheads ...

well for 100 bucks I coulda gotten you a Rinehart 18-1 ...you wear it in a year and its replaced for free ...
    but .. i would reccomend you buy the 6 dollar core replacement kit ... otherwise known as MonoFoam ..... for broadheads ... buy a few cans and empty them into a cardboard box ... and keep your CDN tire Delta deer for feild points
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Grass seed bags (woven plastic) stuffed tight with plastic shopping bags work pretty good and last a lot longer than I ever would have thought.

Burlap is a good cover bag too.
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

I would say spring black bears are one of the best targets and all natural.

A bright pin on a shiney black coat!! Mother Nature's most nearly perfect target.

get a camo one...............
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004