Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DRawweight

Bow Walker Guest

Re: DRawweight

I'm intrigued enough (now) to contact the manufacturer of my two bows. Hoyt and Diamond/Bowtech. I'll post up the responses - if any.

Later - Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Ron.C I don't think the question was wether you can safely shoot a bow with the limbs maxed out but rather is it better for the bow and maybe even the archer if they are maxed out or just backed off a bit. Mike

Agree, safety was not the initial question, but it's obviously a factor that should be looked at that definitely relates to this subject. Earlier in this thread I posted that I didn't see a problem with bottoming out the limbs. According to my discussion with PSE TECH Assistance yesterday, I was wrong to say that and there is alot more to the subject than a simple yes/no answer. So on those bows, that should not have the limb bolts physically bottomed out, no, it is definitely not better for the bow and more importantly not safe as you are using the bow in a manner it was not meant to be used. But for those bows that can have the limb bolts bottomed out and safely shoot, its fine. Wether it's better for the shooter and his/her shooting style, that is up to the individual shooter to determin for himself. Whats's better for me may be worse for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Agree, safety was not the initial question, but it's obviously a factor that should be looked at that definitely relates to this subject. Earlier in this thread I posted that I didn't see a problem with bottoming out the limbs. According to my discussion with PSE TECH Assistance yesterday, I was wrong to say that and there is alot more to the subject than a simple yes/no answer. So on those bows, that should not have the limb bolts physically bottomed out, no, it is definitely not better for the bow and more importantly not safe as you are using the bow in a manner it was not meant to be used. But for those bows that can have the limb bolts bottomed out and safely shoot, its fine. Wether it's better for the shooter and his/her shooting style, that is up to the individual shooter to determin for himself. Whats's better for me may be worse for you.

did you mention to the tech that you were maxing a 60 pound bow at a weight over its maximum specified draw weight?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Quote Originally Posted by jessbennett View Post
    did you mention to the tech that you were maxing a 60 pound bow at a weight over its maximum specified draw weight?
    Short answer, no, I didn't mention it, but

I'm just passing on information that I obtained during a phone call with a Tech from PSE, not a local bowshop TECH rep, but someone from the factory, that said some bow max draw weights can vary from just under to just over the tagged draw weight when the limbs are set at the proper max max position given that particular bow, and it is safe to shoot a bow like this. that's what I got from the conversation so take it as you will.

Personally, My Mathews FX I owned with 60 pound limbs would max out at 63#. My PSE Thunderbolt with 70 # limbs would max out at over 73. My current bow, a Bowtech Allegiance will top out at just over 62# with 60# limbs. The only one I shot bottomed out was the Matthews and I never had an issue.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-19-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Bow Walker Guest

Well - I went to the Bowtech website and emailed them a question regarding bottoming out the limbs.

Message: I have been told that "bottoming out" the limbs is not advisable. Is this true? Are there definite disadvantages to bottoming out the limb bolts on a bow? I own a Diamond Liberty, and am very interested in your opinion(s). Thank you, Dan.
    This was their answer - and a rather speedy one at that...

You want to bottom them out and then take and just break it loose. The idea is to not allow it to seize up.

Nick Droback
    customer service
    1 877 447 0293
    Bowtech90554 Highway 99 North
    Eugene, Oregon 97402
    SO - I stand corrected. I retract any remarks that might be construed as being "know-it-all" and I am going to back off the limb bolts on my Diamond Liberty hunting bow by 1/8 of a turn.

Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks??

Good post,

Thanks Dan

good post. thats what this forum is all about sharing information and giving advice . we all can learn from sharing little tips and ideas i think...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

After reading this I want to back out the limbs on my longbow. How do I do that?

Wow this question sure generated a lot of discussion, awesome so much info. Jody

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Well - I went to the Bowtech website and emailed them a question regarding bottoming out the limbs.

This was their answer - and a rather speedy one at that...

SO - I stand corrected. I retract any remarks that might be construed as being "know-it-all" and I am going to back off the limb bolts on my Diamond Liberty hunting bow by 1/8 of a turn.

Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks??
    Nick Is a smart guy and a great resource on Bowtech stuff ... while i have been on the IR list from shootinI have been triing to learn everything I can about the Bowtech line and past and present binery cam systems ....

Jess .. you should better ...not all bows are created equal .. My Super tec at one point in Time was Drapers he got 2 from Hoyt exact same specs blah blah blah .... the limb deflections were slightly differant as we compared them one day both stated 70# on the limb stickers but maxed out mine measured 72 and his measured 69.

so taking the final point past limb sticker stat is no problem ...just be certain to back it off after bottoming the limbs out ... I do a 1/4 turn for my peice of mind ..a 1/2 pound loss at most is nothing.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask