Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DRawweight

Re: DRawweight

I have to agree with the those who believe the bow should be backed off a bit...a quarter turn is all you need. The reason I do this is to save wear and tear on the limbs and limb pockets etc. If you tighten the bolts all the way down and bury the limb pocket against the riser you don't allow any room for the limb or limb pocket to move during the shot. It puts an extra stress on the limb at the edge of the pocket as it flexes past it's point of rest once you release, if you leave a small gap by backing out the bolt a 1/4 turn it allows the limb or limb pocket (depending on the style) to pivot away from the bolt and take up a good deal of that stress. Basically you are creating a pivot point to prevent the limb/limb pocket from taking all the stress of the limb trying to flex past it's point of rest during the shot. If you've ever seen a super slow motion video of what a bow goes through during a shot it is amazing that they hold together at all!!!!

Just my opinion
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I was always taught to lock em down and then back em off a half turn.

Best bet is to search the manufactures site or ask. I have yet to see any bow that where the manufacture allows the limb to be bottomed out on.
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jessbennett View Post
    so you went over what your limb max weight was suppost to be???? sounds "much safer" than shooting 1/4 turn below max weight.

besides with most bows, there is a sweet spot in the draw weight that perfomance just doesnt get any better with increased weight. whats the point in pulling 70 pounds when performance is best at 66 or 67 pounds???
    Quote Originally Posted by jessbennett View Post
    so you think its better to max out a 60 pound bow at 62-63 pounds???? or do you think its best to go to what the bow is rated for?
    Maxing out the limbs isn't a matter of trying to go over any stated "limit" - it's just what I was taught when I was starting out. I am more than willing to converted, just show me how it is better....

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    I have to agree with the those who believe the bow should be backed off a bit...a quarter turn is all you need. The reason I do this is to save wear and tear on the limbs and limb pockets etc. If you tighten the bolts all the way down and bury the limb pocket against the riser you don't allow any room for the limb or limb pocket to move during the shot. It puts an extra stress on the limb at the edge of the pocket as it flexes past it's point of rest once you release, if you leave a small gap by backing out the bolt a 1/4 turn it allows the limb or limb pocket (depending on the style) to pivot away from the bolt and take up a good deal of that stress. Basically you are creating a pivot point to prevent the limb/limb pocket from taking all the stress of the limb trying to flex past it's point of rest during the shot. If you've ever seen a super slow motion video of what a bow goes through during a shot it is amazing that they hold together at all!!!!

Just my opinion
    Chris
    What are the limb pockets designed for, if not to hold the limbs securely during the shot cycle??

This theory of a 'sweet spot' does sound like it has a certain merit - I'll try it out and see if I can get better performance from my equipment. I'm always willing to be convinced of a better way to do things

I've watched a few slo-mo's of the shot cycle, and I quite agree that everything is in motion. Everything. But isn't the reason that there are vibration dampeners, stabilizers, and different shock absorbing gizmos on the bow just for the very reason that everything is trying to tear the bow apart?? That's what their function and design is aimed at.

What are the limb pockets designed for, if not to hold the limbs securely during the shot cycle??
    The limb pockets are designed more to contain left/right pivoting of the limbs, rather than to control vertical movement. If the pocket and limbs were meant to be mated together in a rigid manner you would see screws through the face of the pocket into the limbs to mate them securely to the pocket. it is my opinion that these components are meat to move and flex independantly of one another.

Just my opinion
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    The limb pockets are designed more to contain left/right pivoting of the limbs, rather than to control vertical movement. If the pocket and limbs were meant to be mated together in a rigid manner you would see screws through the face of the pocket into the limbs to mate them securely to the pocket. it is my opinion that these components are meat to move and flex independantly of one another.

Just my opinion
    Chris
    X Deuce
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

[quote=Bow Walker;393209]Maxing out the limbs isn't a matter of trying to go over any stated "limit" - it's just what I was taught when I was starting out. I am more than willing to converted, just show me how it is better....

60 pound limbs are 60 pound limbs. that is what they are designed to be maxed at. not 61, not 62, etc.......etc........

but thats just ones opinion.

vibration dampners, stabilizers, and other vibration dampening gizmos are definately there for that reason, but alot of it is also marketing dont you think? a quieter, smoother, vibration free bow......... sounds good to me!

a neat experiment would be to take all those"gizmos" off, max out your bow, shoot it. then back it off a half turn or so to see what the difference is.
    id be willing to bet that it would be nicer to shoot with it backed off a bit.

but again, its just my opinion. i have my preference as im sure you have yours.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Well, I have my opinion on this as do others on here. So I decided to call the experts and find out for sure. I tried to call BOWTECH and haven't been able to get through yet but did get through to PSE Tech assistance.

I asked,

"Can you bottom the limb bolts out on a bow and safely shoot the bow?"

the Response from PSE TECH assistance

Yes and No. It depends on the type of bow. A PSE bow with standard limb pockets IS DESIGNED to be shot with the limb bolts bottomed out. There can be a small variance in draw weight from bow to bow, for example some 60# bows may draw a max of 58.5#, another may draw 61#, but both are safe to shoot maxed out. Any additional vibration from shooting the bow maxed out is negligible. Now a PSE bow with Hyper- Lite limb pockets IS NOT DESIGNED to be shot with the limb bolts physically bottomed out. What is considered bottomed out on a bow with Hyper-Lite limb pocket is a 5mm gap.

So, I am sure if I call 10 different companies, I will receive the same type of answer. But take it for what it is. If you are concerned about it, call/write the manufacturer of your bow and find out.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-14-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Good post Ron. I would also assume you'd get similar answers from other manufactures.

I think a key point is "any additional vibration from shooting the bow 'maxed out' would be neglible".

If someone has the ability to feel the difference in vibration or assess the increase or decrease in "performance" from the same bow with 2 or 3 pounds difference in draw weight they are truly gifted. I would think that any difference in performance would be muscle memory/shooter related, not bow related.

Ron.C I don't think the question was wether you can safely shoot a bow with the limbs maxed out but rather is it better for the bow and maybe even the archer if they are maxed out or just backed off a bit. Mike
    "You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try" Beverly Sills