Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DRawweight

DRawweight

Is it ok to crank bow up to full draw weight or is it wise to leave adjuster bolts anot quite tightened to the max? Jody

2. Site Sponsor

Re: DRawweight

I'm no expert but I believe I heard that you should leave a little room, ie: on a 60-70# bow 68-68.5 should be max. And no, I don't know why.
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

if you want the most out of your Bow, Screw it down tight then Back it off 1/4-1/2 Turn. If your Bow Is screwed down tight, there will be more Vibration in the riser, which is 1. Annoying in the Hand.2. less wear and stress on the Limbs. and Riser. 3. Less wear and tear on the person
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Bow Walker Guest

It's by far better to shoot a 60lb bow maxed out than it is to shoot a 70lb bow 'lightened' up to 60lbs.

Both my hunting and target rigs are tight to the max. No problems at all, felt, percieved, or otherwise.

Agree with Bowwalker,

I'm sure if you werent supposed to shoot your bow with the limb bolts bottomed out, the user manual would say so, and I haven't seen one yet that does. They just say the max # of turns you can loosen them. I don't agree with Bigbear about the vibration. I shot my Mathews maxed out for three years "60# limbs actually gave me 63# maxed" and felt no vibration what so ever, never had any limb or component problems. But try it yourself. Tighten your limb bolts all the way down and shoot a bit. Loosen them 1/4-1/2 turn and see if is louder or more vibration.

I agree with bowwalker and Ron C. I've never heard of the notion of not using the full draw weight to increase performance. Seems counter intuitive to me.

if you bottom them out at say 70 pounds (most bows with 70 pound weight will be between 68 and 72) and back off 1/4 turn you will be fine ... usually 1 full turn equates to 2.5 pounds of draw weight and you will also find as Big Bear has stated its easier on your equipment .... Ie: pocket bushings, rockers etc ...
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

tighten to max, then back off quarter to half turn.

its much easier on equipment. limbpockets, etc. plus your bow will feel nicer to shoot.
    Last edited by jessbennett; 01-12-2009 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

hunting, fishing, wheeling, arrow flinging, gun shooting, loving it all
    proud supporter of the browning and A.P.A. killing club

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Agree with Bowwalker,

I'm sure if you werent supposed to shoot your bow with the limb bolts bottomed out, the user manual would say so, and I haven't seen one yet that does. They just say the max # of turns you can loosen them. I don't agree with Bigbear about the vibration. I shot my Mathews maxed out for three years "60# limbs actually gave me 63# maxed" and felt no vibration what so ever, never had any limb or component problems. But try it yourself. Tighten your limb bolts all the way down and shoot a bit. Loosen them 1/4-1/2 turn and see if is louder or more vibration.

so you went over what your limb max weight was suppost to be???? sounds "much safer" than shooting 1/4 turn below max weight.

besides with most bows, there is a sweet spot in the draw weight that perfomance just doesnt get any better with increased weight. whats the point in pulling 70 pounds when performance is best at 66 or 67 pounds???
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by huntwriter It seems the "BS" worked just fine for me. But it's no problem you do what works for you I do what works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    It's by far better to shoot a 60lb bow maxed out than it is to shoot a 70lb bow 'lightened' up to 60lbs.

Both my hunting and target rigs are tight to the max. No problems at all, felt, percieved, or otherwise.

so you think its better to max out a 60 pound bow at 62-63 pounds???? or do you think its best to go to what the bow is rated for?
    Quote: