Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rigging them up?

Re: Rigging them up?

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    You can make a mold outta of a lot of different things. If ya try the egg carton idea DON'T soak it in water first or you'll have lead everywhere. I think I've still got the mold that Branthunter referred to if ya want to borrow it. What I've done with the last bunch I made was to dip them in that liquid plastic stuff. I can't remember the name of it but the Plastic Shop in Richmond sells it. It's the cats ass for keeping yer dekes from getting scratched up. K
    I wouldn't mind trying that mold if you are willing to lend it out. I have also seen L/J type molds available on ebay and outdoor shops. At $30 - $40.00 US it is a few bucks though...Thought about the plastic dip too. They didn't have any at Home Depot today.

James

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    You can make a mold outta of a lot of different things. If ya try the egg carton idea DON'T soak it in water first or you'll have lead everywhere. I think I've still got the mold that Branthunter referred to if ya want to borrow it. What I've done with the last bunch I made was to dip them in that liquid plastic stuff. I can't remember the name of it but the Plastic Shop in Richmond sells it. It's the cats ass for keeping yer dekes from getting scratched up. K
    Now that's some smart thinking---you may just have saved somebody's eyes or prevented a nasty burn Kelly. Of course one should always wear eye protection when handling molten lead but a good warning nevertheless. Here's another thought----if you're making your own weights be sure to use something non-ferrous (brass or SS) for the eye, otherwise it will eventually rust out

Learned that one the hard way Bob, like most things. James, you're more than welcome to use that mold but I'll need a couple weeks to find it as I'm laid up right now, sort of. K

don't ever used a soaked anything when pouring lead. when the molten lead hits any bit of moisture it will explode with a bang and molten lead will fly every where.

Something else that works quite well guys is a piece of hard wood with grooves made into it. I had my next door neighbor make me a ring that had a diameter big enough to slip over a goose decoys neck and just a bit less then a half inch thick. Got some old tire weights, melted them down and poured them in the mold. Yes it burns the wood a bit but not enough to catch it on fire.

I also have the J weights on all my duck decoys now, I put two dozen decoys in the same bag and makes it a hell of a lot easier to manage in the dark.
    Last edited by Marc; 01-31-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by crazy ducker View Post
    don't ever used a soaked anything when pouring lead. when the molten lead hits any bit of moisture it will explode with a bang and molten lead will fly every where.
    I actually had the concrete floor of my garage explode once (right under the pot, which I was heating with a tiger torch)

Looking in Can Tire yesterday for some plastic dip. Didn't find any but noticed some rubberized brushable undercoat for around $10.00. I bet that would do the job. Haven't bought anything yet...Still playing with the casting techniques and molds.

try liquid black tape from canadian tire works great for all kinds of stuff

Hey Phoneguy, I found that mold if ya need it. K

i used to use 75 pound mono crimped and a 4 ounce lead ball wieght....it sucked! opening closing a snap swivel at -13 is a chore....the mono never tangled and that was great but the crimps would sometimes snap the line on the toss...bloop! bye bye weight!....having the weights in another bag was just one more thing to forget in those dark painful moments before a 3 am departure!...i got sick of it and got these.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    they are the cats ass....permanent...bombproof...very very fast set out and pick up...the little bungee on there keeps the "L" shaped weight on the keel when its all wrapped up..i used some green cotton commercial fishing cord.....this set up is honestly near perfect and those weights were cheap...why didn't i get to it sooner? *slaps head
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails weights.jpg