Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rigging them up?

Re: Rigging them up?

Used a paper egg carton years ago. Poured each one about half full of lead and that was enough to hold a deke in the river current. The down side is that weights are hard on the paint jobs in the decoy bag. Unless you have a newer slotted type bag, I would look at the L shaped weights and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.
    Use Enough Dog !!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy View Post
    Dollar store has some stainless steel shotglass sized ....cups. Those would probably work?
    Sounds OK, but get 6 or 8 so you can make multiple pours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Used a paper egg carton years ago. Poured each one about half full of lead and that was enough to hold a deke in the river current. The down side is that weights are hard on the paint jobs in the decoy bag. Unless you have a newer slotted type bag, I would look at the L shaped weights and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.
    Good idea, although I'm surprised the paper held up to the hot lead without leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by branthunter View Post
    Good idea, although I'm surprised the paper held up to the hot lead without leaking.

It's been quite a few years but I don't recall any fires . Maybe I soaked the carton first ??
    Use Enough Dog !!

The down side is that weights are hard on the paint jobs in the decoy bag. and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.
    I was thinking of using some small aluminium caribeeners at the end of the line, with about a foot of bungee cord at that end. Keep the weights seperate until they are deplyed, snap a hook through the eye hook on the weight and put them out. Travel the weights in a different pocket. Then the beeners could be used to hook to the keep when wrapping up the line too.

Picked up 3 caribeeners for $1 at the dollar store. Don't know how long the spring will last, but the body is made out of aluminum so ...

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

quotePicked up 3 caribeeners for $1 at the dollar store. Don't know how long the spring will last, but the body is made out of aluminum so ...unquote
    I do not think it is gonna last more than one season. but on good note...preparation for hunt is nice thing about waterfowl hunting....just got my pack of snow gees decoys and L-shaped anchors.will be busy tomorrow....i found that loose weight is really hard on paint job.now i m completely for tight strings.separate pockets for each decoy will do nice aw well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoneguy View Post
    I was thinking of using some small aluminium caribeeners at the end of the line, with about a foot of bungee cord at that end. Keep the weights seperate until they are deplyed, snap a hook through the eye hook on the weight and put them out. Travel the weights in a different pocket. Then the beeners could be used to hook to the keep when wrapping up the line too.

Picked up 3 caribeeners for $1 at the dollar store. Don't know how long the spring will last, but the body is made out of aluminum so ...
    Too complicated---you want to be able to wrap and throw quickly, whether setting or retrieving your spread.

pencil lead good for keel wrappers. loop in one end, 4or5" long, pinch on keel.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

I would look at the L shaped weights and a rubber snubber. Clips right on the keel nad no banging around.
    I use those with the hot buy mallards, and they work great. I throw them all into a sack and never worry about tangels. Costs a bit more than making your own, but I think it's worth it, and with the 7 oz weight, your deeks arn't wont get draged away by ice or fast currents. And if you order it from cabelas, and you dont like them after a year you can return them, no questions asked.

"you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

You can make a mold outta of a lot of different things. If ya try the egg carton idea DON'T soak it in water first or you'll have lead everywhere. I think I've still got the mold that Branthunter referred to if ya want to borrow it. What I've done with the last bunch I made was to dip them in that liquid plastic stuff. I can't remember the name of it but the Plastic Shop in Richmond sells it. It's the cats ass for keeping yer dekes from getting scratched up. K