Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: wokkpash lake for sheep question

wokkpash lake for sheep question

hey guys thinking of going to that lake for sheep my question is it worth flying in or should i just walk in off the highway just some info im after you can pm me if you like
    thanks

kk
    I've hunted almost everday of my life the rest has been wasted

2. Site Sponsor

Re: wokkpash lake for sheep question

I would re think going in there after a ram. the sheep numbers in that area have really dropped in the last few years for a variety of reasons. a friend of mine that guided in that area for 15 years quit guiding in that area due to a lack of rams. his last year (3 yrs ago) he spent 45 days in that watershed and never got a ram. try walking in off the highway from the gravel pit at mile 410. there is a good horsetrail there. some friends of mine have gotten some nice rams the last couple of years. good luck

What time of year are you going?Maybe you'll bump into a bunch of other HBCers

LOL
    Gong show

Quote Originally Posted by ultramagbob View Post
    LOL
    Gong show
    You think
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

I flew in there a year ago last September.It was festooned with wolf sign.We found carcasses of moose and caribou.We did manage to take a ram.It was so good we used our sat phone to get Urs to grab us early,something I couldn't have imagined doing.Pm for more detail if you're really keen on going there.Bob.
    BCWF
    WSSOBC-Life Member

KK, after a bit of research, you'll find there are better places to hunt

there was a post earlier about a truck crossing racing river.(enviornmental damage)some people were upset.anyways,from that point i believe its about a 11km hike to the lake.not too hard of a hike.beautiful hike.the hoodoos are awesome.we didnt see any sheep or anything else but the country was nice. that was over 10 yrs ago.the float plane sounds better if you can afford it. that way you hve lots of energy to hunt.

When I was in there hunting with my uncle 2 Years ago we saw a band of 12 rams. There were 4 full curls, that were between 34-37" type. Not what we were looking for so we let them walk. They were young rams still. Mind you this was a late season hunt and there wasn't anybody else in there besides a guy on a solo trip.
    The Rocky Mountains is the Marrow of the World
    "Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. "Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men." "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Quick note for all......( no 'bs' either)....total count for resident hunters through our guide camp on that side was 43 last season!!.......you wont be alone!!...lol...