Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: easy grouse hunting

Re: easy grouse hunting

If I see a male with some females, I will start shooting the females first.
    Why ? The male will not leave if females are still around.
    Its worked ever time.
    if people of color do it, it's "affirmative action" "civil rights", etc, etc. If a bunch of white folks do it....its "racist" and "hate speech" quote Willyqbc

Interesting tactic. I do a fair amount of grouse hunting with my golden retriever, ruffed grouse mostly. Its good challenge hiking through older (20-30 year) old clearcuts with the dog trying to get them. My dog will flush them but they are hard to find in the evergreens. I am only ever after one or two for dinner never try to limit out. My area is great for hunting as you never know whether you will see a spruce, ruffed or blue. Going to try with the bow this year.

very very interesting

Buck Skin

Quote Originally Posted by solanderdog View Post
    Thanks for this thread. Any tips as to where a complete newbie/novice/idiot could go for some success . . . when starting out from Delta, BC? I just went through the firearms and Core classes in Summer '08, but I haven't done any hunting yet. It's a bit tough to sort it all out when you're trying to figure it out on your own. I was thinking of just going up to Murphy Lakes, past Hope, where I go fly fishing quite a bit, but I've never seen grouse around there. I'm usually just looking for fish tho'.
    I am pretty new to this myself. I did my CORE last year and went on one hunting trip. It was a great experience even though I came home empty handed (I saw many deer - just no bucks). On that trip I did come across many grouse. While I did bump into them when hunting in the woods, the most consistent place that I saw them was around mid-day where deciduous trees meet logging road in the sun. They look like rocks on the road until they burst and fly away.

The region where I saw them was 3-29 (north of Kamloops lake) at the end of Oct. I imagine that there will be more there this year too. If I go back to that area to hunt deer again I will be sure to include some time spent looking for grouse as well.

Oh, and thanks for the tips everyone - I sure appreciate it. I think the one that I really need to take up is to join a Rod/Gun club.

Cheers,
    BB

Here is a tip on how to get "mama san". When I was quite a bit younger and out clearing historic trails between between Hope and Princeton we would often come upon family groups of grouse. I was once able to grab one of the chicks and hold it in my hand and it was peeping like a farm chick, mama was in my face in a heart beat. Since then when ever I am out hunting and come across a group of grouse I try peeping like a chick and it is surprising how often mama comes right to me even if her family is just about full grown. I don't really hunt grouse much anymore since the kids left home but I still call in grouse just laughs. I imagine some people may call BS but give it a try before you ridicule a grouse caller.
    Son of a Birch,, Life time BC resident hunter.

I will try this next month and if it works, I'm going to write a book entitled " The Grouse Whisperer" and make a couple of million bucks.

Why would you want to shoot a whole covey?

Why the rush to fill your limit and be done for the day?

Why not try to flush them and shoot one on the wing once in awhile? Give it a try, it is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    Why would you want to shoot a whole covey?

Why the rush to fill your limit and be done for the day?

Why not try to flush them and shoot one on the wing once in awhile? Give it a try, it is fun!

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats while the title of the thread is "easy grouse hunting"

just my 303cents
    Last edited by 303Brit; 09-12-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Sneg I would like to thank you for posting what you have learned about grouse hunting. I am a new hunter and have no one to teach me anything about grouse. My main focus as I am new will be grouse in the hope and hopefully okanagan area. Once again thanx

Quote Originally Posted by sobirch View Post
    Here is a tip on how to get "mama san". When I was quite a bit younger and out clearing historic trails between between Hope and Princeton we would often come upon family groups of grouse. I was once able to grab one of the chicks and hold it in my hand and it was peeping like a farm chick, mama was in my face in a heart beat. Since then when ever I am out hunting and come across a group of grouse I try peeping like a chick and it is surprising how often mama comes right to me even if her family is just about full grown. I don't really hunt grouse much anymore since the kids left home but I still call in grouse just laughs. I imagine some people may call BS but give it a try before you ridicule a grouse caller.

ive had the same experience!!