Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: easy grouse hunting

sneg is offline Born 2 hunt forced 2 work

Re: easy grouse hunting

My post refer to ruffed grouse mostly. Ddog , certainly I m not pretending to be expert. Nor I m repeating something from experts found on internet. It is my own observation, this find been something new to me , so I posted to see if anybody seen something similar. Not sure about your "ratherbefishin" comments.

Bow Walker Guest

sneg - good for you for being so observant when potting grouse. 99% of hunters - me included - aren't.

funny enough i was deer hunting and came upon a couvey,i just happen to shoot the squacker first and your right they just sat there so i got 5 of them.now it all makes sense why they didn't take off like they usually do.sweet i must of shot the mama san! good call.

People who think grouse are dumb are not too clever themselves! Grouse are one of the most quick-witted, and smartest, most wiliest foul of all time. Some say even crows and parrots admire grouse! Not only do grouse show mental alertness and calculation, but they are also resourceful! I once had one dive bomb me while laying eggs to try and blind me. Grouse are characterized by quickness and ease in learning. In fact some grouse can beat an 8 year old in a simple IQ test. Next time you go into the woods, respect grouse a little more, a-kay?
    Last edited by BiG Boar; 01-16-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks for the post Sneg, I'll be looking for the sentries in September, and shoot "da mamma" first! Very cool of you to analyze that and pass it on!

Red face Re: easy grouse hunting

BEEN "ATTACKED" TWICE WHILE SPRING BEAR HUNTING TWICE UP BY MT.ARROWSMITH HAVE HAD MALE COME OUT OF THE BUSH, FLAPPING WINGS, PICK AT MY BOOTS AND RUN OFF. PRESUME A NEST WAS NEAR BY. HAPPENED SO FAST I THOUGHT IT WAS A WEASEL!!!!!! POPS

Wow...hey Pops, what's next out there, Monty Python style killer rabbits?

yeah i noticed that system with grouse, we were in a large field on a mountain in Keremeos and some blue grouse just walked across the open, we shot her, then a cow walked over a small shrub in the field and i kid you not 20-30 something grouse flushed into and beyond the trees. i checked the trees just incase one was left, i came back with one more grouse

Thanks for this thread. Any tips as to where a complete newbie/novice/idiot could go for some success . . . when starting out from Delta, BC? I just went through the firearms and Core classes in Summer '08, but I haven't done any hunting yet. It's a bit tough to sort it all out when you're trying to figure it out on your own. I was thinking of just going up to Murphy Lakes, past Hope, where I go fly fishing quite a bit, but I've never seen grouse around there. I'm usually just looking for fish tho'.

Thanks for this thread. Any tips as to where a complete newbie/novice/idiot could go for some success . . . when starting out from Delta, BC? I just went through the firearms and Core classes in Summer '08, but I haven't done any hunting yet.
    Welcome to the site!! One suggestion would be to join a fish and game club. Reading some of the older threads on here will give you some ideas too. I am sure there would be guys willing to take a new hunter out. If you ever make it the Okanagan, drop me a pm and l would be happy to show you some of our local hills......
    As for the grouse, l have done what has been described and when you get the right one, the rest are easy pickings.
    “To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”- Voltaire