Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: easy grouse hunting

Re: easy grouse hunting

Quote Originally Posted by sneg View Post
    My post refer to ruffed grouse mostly. Ddog , certainly I m not pretending to be expert. Nor I m repeating something from experts found on internet. It is my own observation, this find been something new to me , so I posted to see if anybody seen something similar. Not sure about your "ratherbefishin" comments.
    I've seen this behavior with ruffed and blues. Never payed attention for a mama san, but groups of ruffed/blues 3 or more we have always seen 1 lookout when we can spot it. We shoot the lookout first, and easy pickings on the rest typically. If you shoot the feeder first, lookout flies and rest follow. Their are always exceptions I'm sure, but like I said for groups of 3 or more seems to apply. Its not hard to shoot grouse, but it always helps to work on your powers of observation before pulling the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by sobirch View Post
    Here is a tip on how to get "mama san". When I was quite a bit younger and out clearing historic trails between between Hope and Princeton we would often come upon family groups of grouse. I was once able to grab one of the chicks and hold it in my hand and it was peeping like a farm chick, mama was in my face in a heart beat. Since then when ever I am out hunting and come across a group of grouse I try peeping like a chick and it is surprising how often mama comes right to me even if her family is just about full grown. I don't really hunt grouse much anymore since the kids left home but I still call in grouse just laughs. I imagine some people may call BS but give it a try before you ridicule a grouse caller.
    Hey I'm not the only one lol, I found this trick too when I was 13. Dad made fun of me for a few years, but now guess who I hear doing it too.

I've come across many a covey of grouse, never really looked for the "mama san" I'll shoot the first grouse I see as soon as I see it and approach the shot bird slowly with my sights trained on the roadside for other birds.
    I have had quite a few times when I have rolled around a corner on my ATV and damn near run over a brood of grouse. At that point its like a shooting gallery, take as many birds as I can before they fly, and then knock em' from there perches.

Sometimes I wont see the grouse until they are right beside the vehicle, in these cases I will drive past them 10 yards and get out and go back and get the bird.

I've never shot a grouse with a 12ga, but I have taken lots with my .410 and more with my 10/22.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

Sharptail grouse I have found spookier than most mule deer unless you take out the leader I agree good post. The same id deffenitaly true with geese. Get the first 3 in the v and easy shots follow.

last year, whitetail season, I only saw 3 grouse. bagged 2 of um. where do you guys find coveys of them?
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Thanks for sharing your methods sneg.

I too have had a similar experience last fall.
    I first shot the "Mamma San" and the rest were easy.
    There were at least a dozen Grouse just sitting there.
    I got my daily bag limit of 5 and enjoyed eating them as well.

As a new hunter, if I could only get a big game animal...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grouse2013.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	4837

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Hey guys thanks for the awesome tips. Does anybody know any good spots Harrison Hot Springs.

Observations about Ruffed Grouse

They are almost always in cover or heading deeper into cover.
    They are fast and agile in flight
    learn how to lead (as in get ahead of them)
    Straight away shots are rare.
    Stations 1 and 5 on the trap field have been helpful.
    Open chokes are best. (I/C or Skeet)
    My dog has more fun than I do hunting them.
    Semper in excretum altum

I have a nice trail I hunt full of ruffies and spruce. Usually the spruce are on the ground and the ruffed are treed. The "mama-san" is real. If you can find the caller to the covey, the rest are easy. If you shoot a one off the whole covey will take off. That's just what I've seen. I feel it works. They say with grouse, once you "feel" it you are in good country. Heading out this Saturday with the intent of a bag limit, maybe Sunday too.