Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

Re: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky07 View Post
    guitar case = concealed ... illegal

it is not against the law to simply conceal a rifle? nor is it against any rule to have it in a guitar case, or a piano or a suitcase etc

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    it is not against the law to simply conceal a rifle? nor is it against any rule to have it in a guitar case, or a piano or a suitcase etc
    After the fiasco up in Pouce Coupe the law don't matter.

Unless the RCMP has up'ed training and educated their members I'd be afraid to say that I even own a gun in the lower mainland.

Zap zap.

I can see the headlines now "Suspected gun owner tazered"
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

I respectfully suggest you find a friend who has a car and goes shooting at the range you like and hook up and go together - who knows you may find someone on this site!

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
    I respectfully suggest you find a friend who has a car and goes shooting at the range you like and hook up and go together - who knows you may find someone on this site!

Good Advise ! ... It doesnt really matter what you are "allowed" to do but rather public perception .... otherwise I think there is a chance that gun laws could get tougher .... afterall we do live in Canada and gun owners/hunters are outnumbered I believe by at least 5:1 ?

I agree with some other posters - best not to tempt fate and travel on the bus with a rifle case. get a buddy to drive or take a cab? If you can find a range still open down there, that is....

FYI - the BC Ferries Texada route used to allow hunters to walk on with cased rifles - now they do not. I assume this is just a policy directive in response to unfavourable public perception.

Just carry the damn thing in a locked rectangular airline travel case and fugetaboutit.

Things politicaly have sure changed since I was shooting smallbore targe with the Rockey Mountain Rangers in Junior high. I thought nothing of jumping a bus (Kamloops) on a friday night to go shooting . I had an Anschutz in a soft case and my shooting Jacket and rode that bus every friday for 3 years till I couldn't shoot as a junior anymore. Now I dont even like to carry my new toys from the gunshop to my truck for fear of some stupid overreaction from a volvo driving granola eating "nerf the world" type calling the cops.
    I didn't miss, that was a warning shot!

OK folks, here's the law:

If you want to carry your non-restricted firearm in public, it cannot be concealed. In the leading case from the Supreme Court of Canada, the majority said that this means that if you want to put it in a case, it has to be apparent to observers that it contains a firearm: ie it has to be in a dedicated rifle case, or if in some other form of case or bag it has to be marked as containing a firearm. You can also wrap it in a blanket etc., again if it is clear from the resulting shape that it is a firearm.

The Court said that the intent element of the offence was not any evil intention, but simple concealment. If you intend to prevent other people from knowing you are carrying a firearm, you are committing a serious offence. Don't take my word for it: read the case at http://scc.lexum.umontreal.ca/en/199...3rcs4-199.html I have 'noted it up' and can confirm that it is still 'good law'.

So don't even think of a guitar case or some such. You can be thrown in jail for years.

Mossman.

Democratic People's Republic of Canuckistan

so hide it and go to jail, or leave it "unconcealed" and deal with the cops and lose 2 hours of range time because some granola phoned them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'd check with Trans Link or who ever the transit company is and then hard case the gun, put some locks on the case and just get on board. A soft gun case looks like just that but a rectangular hard case just looks like a case. Could be anything. Someone wants to know what's in the case tell them it's a new composite two piece javiln and you're late for track and field practice. As long as you are legal, it's really none of their business what's in the case.Cheers.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!