Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

Re: transporting a firearm on pulbic transit?

As long as you keep it in case and carry both your gun registery and FAC. you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese redneck View Post
    As long as you keep it in case and carry both your gun registery and FAC. you will be fine.
    Yep walk onto a bus nowadays with a knife sheath on your hip and well........

Take a Gun case out for a stroll...sure your not doing anything illegal but well.....you're gonna be inconvenienced for awhile I'll guarantee it

But Will, as you point out, shit happens. And it always will... With pool cues, guitars, flutes,,, whatever. Chances are there was a "hush" policy in the settlement.

What keeps it continuing is that it is generally thought of that firearms are bad and the people who own them, are evil. If we keep up with putting up with the notion that we should stay locked in a closet, It will only worsen.

If we also let a couple of bad examples guide our thinking, we should spend the day in bed and forget the range.... People have known to be accidentaly shot at gun clubs.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yep walk onto a bus nowadays with a knife sheath on your hip and well........

Take a Gun case out for a stroll...sure your not doing anything illegal but well.....you're gonna be inconvenienced for awhile I'll guarantee it
    I don't ride many buses, but when I have, no-one has looked at my Leatherman...And using a rectangular gun case, instead of a shaped one, is very inconspicuous. Like I said- Most people are very unobservant.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    What keeps it continuing is that it is generally thought of that firearms are bad and the people who own them, are evil. If we keep up with putting up with the notion that we should stay locked in a closet, It will only worsen.
    I agree 100%....unfortuneatley I firmly belive it's gone too far down that road of Public hysteria........likely never change now.
    We now need to conform to suit the masses....that means taking your rifle for a stroll on a bus will be frowned upon however right or wrong that may be....sad but true.

If we also let a couple of bad examples guide our thinking, we should spend the day in bed and forget the range.... People have known to be accidentaly shot at gun clubs.
    It's not our thinking that's wrong.........that's the hard part

from a legal stand point you can wal;k on to a bus or ferry in bc and have no problems with the law. Technically it does not even need to be in a case. I had a buddy come over to the coast using a few buses and then the ferry. He got a few strange looks so he did end up using a guitar case later on.

Be very careful about transporting a firearm in public regardless of how much care and precautions you take. Call the police in the jurisdiciton you are in, describe your circumstances, what and why you need to do this and ask for advice. Get the cops name as well should he say ok. Even better, get it documented in an email.

I remember some 15 yrs ago some guy got charged carrying a rifle all wrapped up in paper, unloaded, etc etc on Skytrain. Carrying a concealed weapon was the charge. I have no idea if he was convicted. And please don't shoot the messenger on this one...I just remember the incident and don't agree with it.

And I also know that the way the legislation is written about concealed weapons, any transport of a firearm whether loaded or not and in a gun case or any other concealed manner could be interpreted as illegal. I'm guessing that there has to be some case law that provides a more narrow interpretation of this particular offence. Maybe a gun case is not considered concealment because of the virtue that it is obvious that it is a gun case while a wrapping of newspaper could be interpreted as deliberate concealment.

BE CAREFUL!!!
    Last edited by bc sportsman; 02-13-2009 at 11:47 PM.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER

Quote Originally Posted by bc sportsman View Post
    Be very careful about transporting a firearm in public regardless of how much care and precautions you take. Call the police in the jurisdiciton you are in, describe your circumstances, what and why you need to do this and ask for advice. Get the cops name as well should he say ok. Even better, get it documented in an email.

I remember some 15 yrs ago some guy got charged carrying a rifle all wrapped up in paper, unloaded, etc etc on Skytrain. Carrying a concealed weapon was the charge. I have no idea if he was convicted. And please don't shoot the messenger on this one...I just remember the incident and don't agree with it.

And I also know that the way the legislation is written about concealed weapons, any transport of a firearm whether loaded or not and in a gun case or any other concealed manner could be interpreted as illegal. I'm guessing that there has to be some case law that provides a more narrow interpretation of this particular offence. Maybe a gun case is not considered concealment because of the virtue that it is obvious that it is a gun case while a wrapping of newspaper could be interpreted as deliberate concealment.

BE CAREFUL!!!
    To be charged with "concealed weapon" the "intent" must be proven.

Carrying a gun in a gun case, the "intent" is simply to protect it and/or comply wiht laws (in the case of restricted)

Wrapping with newspaper? I dunno, but several gun stores that sell used rifles have a roll of brown paper to wrap it up in, so when you when you walk to your truck rom store, you don't have a visible gun. Again, it could be considered "protection" or simply "wrapping" and not concelament. COncealment is sticking it under your jacket....
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    You have carried firearms in the public realm and haven't been face-planted by 2 dozen cops with drawn weapons aimed at the back of your head????

Impossible....

All kidding aside, your post pretty much reflects what I have experienced. When conversation is accounted, I have had people ask if taking a rifle out for a walk was a legal activity. My reply is that indeed it is, as long as you comply with the laws governing it.

That normally leads into an insightful chin-wag for the person that I'm conversing with and I normally end up being late for wherever I'm headed.

But that's OK, as I'm a personable type of fella and don't mind meeting new people.
    Taking a rifle out for a walk - doubtful there will be trouble. But if ya start talking to it and petting it...

7m7
    Always check your backtrail

Gatehouse, the statute does not speak of intent to use the weapon, only concealing it in a public place. I looked up the offence again and the definition of a weapon. It seems that no intent is needed other than concealment.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc...:l_III-gb:s_88 for the offence description and the definition of a weapon is:

"weapon" means any thing used, designed to be used or intended for use
    (a) in causing death or injury to any person, or

(b) for the purpose of threatening or intimidating any person

and, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, includes a firearm;

So, unless the firearms act allows the concealment of a firearm (ie. the firearms act may state that you must hide/conceal a weapon when leaving it behind in your vehicle), you are in breach.

Regarding what the gun store did in wrapping the gun in paper, the purchaser was likely just walking to their closely parked vehicle so the exposure was limited and no public alarm was raised about a loon carrying a gun on the streets.

Do that on public transit or start walking around for any length of time with a package that the public obviously knows is a firearm and we are asking for a problem.

Again, I'm not a lawyer but...I'd be really careful.
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER